Trigger pull

642 isn't exactly hammerless, it's an enclosed hammer. I haven't fired it so I would defer to someone who has, but reviews indicate it has a pretty standard double action trigger pull. Of course, with the enclosed hammer you lose the single action option with the associated less travel.

I've had several j frames both 642 and 442. Double action pull will be the same. If I am understanding your question. Charter Arms will be a little grittier than the smith but can be cleaned up by the shooter with lube and dry fire. (a few hundred times for the trigger and your finger)

I have a few S&W revolvers, 2 are J Frames. I'll start with I've never been a fan of revolver triggers. The J's I have I've done some minor (they are carry) work to the triggers and it helped a little but it's still a legit pull. Without yanking em both, it's all some other person's subjective statement. IMHO critical for YOU to pull em both and make that determination on your own.

The S&W 638 is a better option. The trigger is better and you have a single action function too. I looked at the 642 and 638. I chose the 638.

My Father loves some bodyguard 38 Smith and Wesson's. I also enjoy being able to cock it for target practice, but if we're honest any self defense revolver is going to be use dao for its intended purpose.

To the OP I've got both smiths and charter arms revolvers. Smiths are more refined and will have a smoother pull in my experience. Charter arms guns are perfectly serviceable though.

I dont have any new S&W's but I do have 4 older ones from the late 90's and back and I also have a Charter Arms Undercover and a Colt Trooper. Every S&W has a better DA trigger than the other 2. There are ways to lighten the DA pull but you may sacrifice reliable ignition and in a carry or duty gun thats a big NONO. The thing about S&W triggers are that they are smooth and you can feel exactly when the gun is going to go off. The Colt is much heavier and the Charter Arms is much grittier and unpredictable. After you put 150 or 200 rnds through the Smith in DA you will be as accurate in DA as you would be in SA. You just have to learn to squeeze and not jerk and you will be able to pause the pull just before the trigger breaks, no so much with the others.

any s&w (or taurus) 38sp revolver will be better than a charter arms revolver. my s&w and taurus j frame revolvers have a trigger pull likely matching that of the c.a. that i briefly owned, but the fit and finish of the latter was awful. my hand was literally bloodied in spots and battered after 50 rounds through the c.a., never so with a s&w or taurus.

Back