Tried new penetrating fluids

I too think Kano has changed hands, I remember something about no more mail order retail. I do like their Floway.

OMG it's $14/can. Maybe this is one of those items where they have haz shipping to pay for. I notice a lot of liquid items on Amazon are way high.

numb.jpg

I still have a few cans of kroil from a job I was on in 2015. Not sure if the new stuff is any worse or not. The other penetrants I have are

Schaeffers Penetro 90, works great

Castle Thrust, also works great

Mouse milk, haven't used it enough to give an answer

And I guess I'm the oddball because I love the smell of kroil.

Maybe we should see if HPL will make a good penetrant (if the dont already). I'd be first in line to get it!

If and only if, when safe , put a light torch flame on rusted bolts and nuts, just enough to heat it well and it will crack rust loose, let cool and add your bolt loosing oil,,let it sit for an hour,,then brake it loose,,imho

I took screen shots off the project farm video. Yes, it looks like Gibbs edged out Liquid Wrench. Another interesting thing is that it confirmed that time is your friend. Spraying ahead of time does help.

FCB4A1BD-93FD-44ED-B104-70944DBBA858.jpg
904A0265-F965-4351-98C7-724D689F231D.jpg
689F026F-3E71-4CC2-9A10-89E85B2BAA42.jpg
560C93AC-B221-48A9-AF7B-C07910D6CC1A.jpg

Over the past few years Kroil doesnt seem to be cutting it so my latest ongoing project a full bushing replacement on the rear of an old Subaru, the body is rust free but holy god the suspension parts are very badly rotted, no bolt came out without going to war with it. Perfect time to try Kroil, Gibbs and FreeAll just for fun, if it doesnt do much smoke wrench and cutoff wheel time.

I chose bolts that were close together and impossible to remove with anything but hand tools (to tight even for the angle head impact) and sprayed one with each product in multiple locations. Nothing scientific here just my own observations. The Kroil surprisingly was a miserable failure, the free all wasn't much better but stunk the high heaven, that stinky crap (it smells worse than the new liquid wrench) went in the bin.
The Gibbs did a remarkable job with no objectionable odor, I got everything loose after leaving all 3 product overnight. It stayed wet the longest and you could see the rust dripping off. Impressive.

I've always had really good results with CRC Freeze off. My cousin was out visiting a few years ago. A few of the bolts on the underside of his Nissan 350z wouldn't turn. When you spray it, it bubbles like it's wicking into the bolts.

I bought some Gibbs oil when Trav first posted this and yesterday I finally used it to clean my filthy Ruger 22/45. It removed the carbon and dirt almost instantly and softened the build up to the point where a few tooth brush strokes wiped them away and the Gibbs left a nice protective oil film. Thank you Trav.

Over the past few years Kroil doesnt seem to be cutting it so my latest ongoing project a full bushing replacement on the rear of an old Subaru, the body is rust free but holy god the suspension parts are very badly rotted, no bolt came out without going to war with it. Perfect time to try Kroil, Gibbs and FreeAll just for fun, if it doesnt do much smoke wrench and cutoff wheel time.

I chose bolts that were close together and impossible to remove with anything but hand tools (to tight even for the angle head impact) and sprayed one with each product in multiple locations. Nothing scientific here just my own observations. The Kroil surprisingly was a miserable failure, the free all wasn't much better but stunk the high heaven, that stinky crap (it smells worse than the new liquid wrench) went in the bin.
The Gibbs did a remarkable job with no objectionable odor, I got everything loose after leaving all 3 product overnight. It stayed wet the longest and you could see the rust dripping off. Impressive.

How long did you leave the Kroil to soak the part?

I refuse to use PB Blaster anymore! The last 5 cans I bought ran out of propellent too soon leaving half the can unusable and the smell is terrible. Oddly enought the supertech basic "lubricant" in the gray spray can works pretty darn good even though freeing bolt isn't it's design intent.

I refuse to use PB Blaster anymore! The last 5 cans I bought ran out of propellent too soon leaving half the can unusable and the smell is terrible. Oddly enought the supertech basic "lubricant" in the gray spray can works pretty darn good even though freeing bolt isn't it's design intent.

Use eye protection, obviously

found that schaeffers pentro 90 works very good on rusty bolts etc,,seems to work also good as a lubricant,my favorite on most applications

Reactions: wlk
Still loving Kimball's Midwest penetrating oil. I had a fishing reel handle that wouldn't turn, corroded in salt water. Hit it with a good shot of Kimballs, waited overnight, reel is good as new except for the dopey owner who forgot to wash it.

I refuse to use PB Blaster anymore! The last 5 cans I bought ran out of propellent too soon leaving half the can unusable and the smell is terrible.
PB Blaster smells nasty! The one and only can I ever bought went into the trash pretty quick. I got it on my coveralls and it took quite a few wash cycles before that awful smell was gone.

I agree! Although I haven't come up with an alternative product yet(other than KROYL), I did write B'Laster about 2 yrs ago to tell them about this lack of propellent issue and how many years I've been using their product as a DIYer and at the company(s) that I worked for. In total I've used their B'Laster product(s) for ~50 years at some point and found this unacceptable and won't buy it any longer...which I haven't. They did not respond.

PB Blaster smells nasty! The one and only can I ever bought went into the trash pretty quick. I got it on my coveralls and it took quite a few wash cycles before that awful smell was gone.
Forum name is appropriate name.

Yeah real stinky. I specifically keep that stink away from my guns and anything else I need to be close up and personal.

I bought some Gibbs oil when Trav first posted this and yesterday I finally used it to clean my filthy Ruger 22/45. It removed the carbon and dirt almost instantly and softened the build up to the point where a few tooth brush strokes wiped them away and the Gibbs left a nice protective oil film. Thank you Trav.
I found that too. I occasionally get some DI injectors that are so carboned up on the tips it makes it hard for the ultrasonics to get into the injector.
I soak just the tips in Gibbs for a few hours and just brush it away then clean.

Back