Tricks for brake shoe hold down CLIPS??

D60

I've searched the web and YT but everyone wants to talk about hold down springs. I've got every tool for the springs, but sometimes these clips drive me nuts.

Are there any specialty tools for these or does anyone have nifty tricks? I searched for tools but again it all reverts to springs.

These clips are quite often used in DIH parking brake assys but some cars do use them as the primary hold downs I believe.
20220918_115359.jpg

In this case I've got a D70 full floater hub in my way. I of course could pull the hub but didn't want to if avoidable. I finally got creative and used these Strong Hand spreading locking pliers to compress the stupid clips, but it was NOT elegant.
20220918_115413.jpg
20220918_115434.jpg

I think I've always used water pump pliers, but didn't have such a hub flange in my way. on smaller stuff I also used a hex or torx socket, pretty much like the lisle tool

I usually compress the clips on the nail end then spin the nail head behind the backing plate with my other hand. I do it by hand or with pliers pinching the outer edges of the clip. I might not get 90 degrees but I get enough. Then I can grab the outboard end of the nail with a pliers, compress the clip again, and rotate it to seat.

With my wife's help yesterday I was able to get the other side with a fraction of the frustration, still leaving the shaft and wb hub in place.

Basically I needed her to hold the nail in place while I fumbled about with the clip and my spreading pliers.

It was still way faster than pulling the hub, plus the second side has a Speedi Sleeve and I'm superstitious about shoving the seal over it any more than necessary.

Holy God I used this today on the wife's '08 F150 and it turns 20 minutes of cursing into 10 seconds of "That was so easy."
20230216_151707.jpg

edit: I was attempting to quote @Timmastertech from Post #3 in this thread, but somehow I failed....

I’ve always just used small/needle nose pliers to push on each side while holding and turning the back of the pin behind the backing plate.

Also use a flat blade screwdriver, hold the pin from behind, give the spring a push and turn at the same time. As long as the pin barely catches and holds the spring, then switch to needle noses and grab the pin and turn it the remainder of the 1/4 turn to lock it into place.

When assembling new shoes with new springs, a dab of anti sieze or grease and the flathead method works every time for me. The dab of grease or anti sieze lets the spring turn a lot easier.

I have to do these on ford 8.8 rears a lot, and typically with the axle in the way as you have pictured.

Back