TRD PTR43-00081 filter for 2018 Tundra worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A family member just picked up a brand new Tundra 5.7. I see TRD makes an oil filter (PTR43-00081). Looks very similar to FU or Wix XP. Any word on it? How much “better” os it than OEM cellulose? Truck will be following the factory maintenance schedule.

Also, who makes it?

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Nope not worth the label on the packaging

Thanks. Any particular reason why?

The Toyota will last longer that your ownership of it with proper maintenance. Spend the $$$ on the filter. so you will be happy. Toyotas are very, very nice trucks.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The Toyota will last longer that your ownership of it with proper maintenance. Spend the $$$ on the filter. so you will be happy. Toyotas are very, very nice trucks.

Yep. This Tundra is replacing a 2002 Tacoma with 280k miles. Ran it’s entire life on dino. No issues. Sold for $11k!

I didn't like the standard filter for my Lexus and so I've been buying the TRD version $6 vs $20. There is no comparison in construction between the 2, the additional $ buy me peace of mind at the minimum :) Go ahead and use TRD.

The TRD is made by Champ Labs, similar if not the same as Royal Purple or Amsoil brands. These are qualified and warranted by Toyota. Multi pass efficiency 98.7% @ 20 microns, or 99% as other makers say. The OE Toyota from Thailand could be cellulose or synthetic blend, no one knows. Those will work fine too.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The TRD is made by Champ Labs, similar if not the same as Royal Purple or Amsoil brands. These are qualified and warranted by Toyota. Multi pass efficiency 98.7% @ 20 microns, or 99% as other makers say. The OE Toyota from Thailand could be cellulose or synthetic blend, no one knows. Those will work fine too.

Thanks. You’re right, it looks just like a cut-open RP or Amsoil. Great filters. Probably overkill, but the standard one just looks so... flimsy and cheap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back