2filter.jpeg
3filter.jpeg
4filter.jpeg
5filter.jpeg
6filter.jpeg
7filter.jpeg
8filter.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good. I've used the TRD filter on my Tundra for the last few years. They are hard to find right now and I just put my last one from my stash on last week. I purchased some old stock Wix XP's last year that will keep me going for another several years. The TRD feels better built than the Wix XP, but the TRD feels overbuilt so I'm sure the Wix will be just fine. I just got a 4Runner about 9 months ago and I'm getting ready for the next OC in about a month or two and wanted to build up a stash off filters for it too, so I got a half dozen Royal Purple's from RP Direct.com. To me they look identical to the TRD filter in build. I think they're a Champ filter; not sure who makes the TRD filter. I'm betting it is Champ Labs as well.

Last edited:
Looks good. I've used the TRD filter on my Tundra for the last few years. They are hard to find right now and I just put my last one from my stash on last week. I purchased some old stock Wix XP's last year that will keep me going for another several years. The TRD feels better built than the Wix XP, but the TRD feels overbuilt so I'm sure the Wix will be just fine. I just got a 4Runner about 9 months ago and I'm getting ready for the next OC in about a month or two and wanted to build up a stash off filters for it too, so I got a half dozen Royal Purple's from RP Direct.com. To me they look identical to the TRD filter in build. I think they're a Champ filter; not sure who makes the TRD filter. I'm betting it is Champ Labs as well.

yeah i also have a stash of the champ labs made RP. they are identical to the TRD. i believe they make the Amsoil oil filters for the 4Runner as well.

how are you enjoying your 4Runner so far?

how are you enjoying your 4Runner so far?
Its everything I expected it to be and I love it. It is my wife's daily for now, but here in a year or two it will become our spare vehicle and my hunting and fishing rig. The Tundra is great but just too big for some of the back-road trails I go on. I've always wanted a 4Runner, so I decided to get one before they changed it, made it more complex and while it still had the 4.0. My wife had a 2015 Jeep Cherokee that turned into a complete pile of rolling crap at about 65k and this replaced it at 100k. It is like night and day in quality and reliability, but having owned Toyotas before I expected that.

Really depends on what oil you use, and fuel, and driving style... and of course engine type.

thanks for this info. sometimes i don't think about these external factors as well.

Fuel: Shell 87, Mobil 87 or Chevron 87 only

Driving Style: mostly city, i do have a lead foot. this truck idles a lot. (over 2 hours daily of idling M-F *morning and afternoon*). while waiting for my kiddos at school) does get dusty roads when i pick up Raw Milk from a local farm, weekly.

Air Filter replaced at 10,000 mile mark with Wix Gold. very similar to OEM filter that came from Japan.

Back