Trax filter......

I have a feeling this may have been mentioned, but it didn’t pop up for me in a search. The wife loves her 2020 Trax. And free oil changes are all done. So, I am on the hunt for an oil/filter combo. (The oil part is easy) The part I did not expect was the filter being confusing.

I have found there are two different filters the 1.4 uses. The PF2257G is a regular Hengst made filter. There is also a PF2263G, which has a spring on the top. Seems that GM had two different vendors for the oil filter intake. Also happens to say what type of filter on the bottom on the filter. And I don’t want to have to remove it to figure out which one it needs. (kinda cold out) Even the auto part websites are all over the place on which one was being used....

Is there a trick to this I missed? I just want to grab a few extra filters for future oil changes. Kinda worried me when the Trax forum mentioned using the wrong one would mess stuff up...

Trax is an LS 2wd.

Edit: I did find GMFANS thread about their Encore, which helped quite a bit. But if anyone can chip in any other ideas/thoughts, I’d be grateful. :)

Last edited:
It will say Hengst or UFI on the housing cap. Choose your filter accordingly. It's very small and hard to see without removing the cap.
Screenshot_20201107-122514_Hancom Office S Viewer.jpg

The real question is, why are they different designs? :unsure:

Using different suppliers is fine, and it's common, but they should still be the same designs and interchangeable, GM :rolleyes:

Just had a long discussion about this.

The vin doesnt break it down, even in the GM dealer catalog. Reason being is that the engine can be built with either ass'y and either ass'y can be used for service. Black cap for Hengst and brown cap for UFI is how you tell
I guess it depends if it was made in S. Korea or Mexico. 😎

Get a look at the housing cap. It it is black it is Hengst, if brown the other one.

Yep, that seems to be the best way to find out....I’ll just have to wait until it stops snowing.....

Though I was told more of the caps that he saw were the black ones....hoping for this as I would rather have the easier filter to find in stores if needed....

The vin doesnt break it down, even in the GM dealer catalog. Reason being is that the engine can be built with either ass'y and either ass'y can be used for service. Black cap for Hengst and brown cap for UFI is how you tell

That surprised me too...seems to be for all parts too! Useful to find parts though... :cool:

Just had a long discussion about this.

Yep, when I first looked I did not find it, even though it never occurred to me even after posting in it! (Smacks forehead)

I did find it afterward and edited my post a bit. Good news is that it is as easy as looking under the hood. (After it stops snowing..)

Back