Traveling from Michigan to Northern Kentucky - Take off Snows Early?

You don’t want to keep those Blizzaks on. If it gets warm they will melt away and feel extremely sketchy if it goes above 75 degrees. As others have mentioned, you are going to be in the middle of the US and they tend to keep highways clear. I think you’ll attain more safety with your all seasons on if you had to panic brake, swerve, or drive in rain.

I took off my snows two weeks ago for the drive to Penticton for the week. Drove almost 2000kms through the western Rockies and did fine with the OEM wranglers. Don't burn through the snows for no reason.

I have run Blizzaks on my Camaro since 2003. Never failed to get 6 winters out of each set, about 50k miles each. I usually took them off in late April. Current set of WS70's have 4 winters on them, and they're still doing great.

I ran a set of Blizzak LT's on my Dodge truck when I was running trailers. I put them on fresh in December and pulled trailers through the winter, and ran them all the way into the next October: 100k miles. The good winter traction was gone by the end of winter, but they did fine through the warm months in hot and wet conditions. If I had continued running trailers I would have bought another set for the next year.

Like others have mostly said if it were me I would remove them and not put extra wear on them.
Not very likely to see snow and if it does not that likely to stick or need salt.
I would also check weather on the days you plan to travel just to see what weather forecast is going to be.

It's that time of year that you'll be taking the snow tires off shortly anyways. Even if you get more snow where you live, it'll likely be wetter, easier to treat snow, instead of super cold, icing conditions you'd see in February. If you do encounter inclement weather, just drive carefully on all-seasons.

But rest assured you won't see any treacherous conditions in northern KY / southern OH this time of year, especially on well traveled highways.

Thanks again for the great discussion everyone. I decided to go ahead swap them!

swap.jpg

Well, you made your decision just before my post.

I believe your bigger issue will be both potholes and “nut jobs” behind the wheel as you journey south.

And it was a great decision to ditch the snows, if for no other reason than to pimp that ride with the nicer rims.

Now, based on the sage advice you received from your original post, please tell us about that Bimmer in the garage and what’s behind doors 86 through 88.

Thanks again for the great discussion everyone. I decided to go ahead swap them!
Just looking at your picture, one would wonder why you still have snow tires on. And by the way, it's almost 60º F here not far from your destination.

Just looking at your picture, one would wonder why you still have snow tires on. And by the way, it's almost 60º F here not far from your destination.
We are under a winter weather advisory through 11AM tomorrow, but I know what you mean! 😂

Well, you made your decision just before my post.

I believe your bigger issue will be both potholes and “nut jobs” behind the wheel as you journey south.

And it was a great decision to ditch the snows, if for no other reason than to pimp that ride with the nicer rims.

Now, based on the sage advice you received from your original post, please tell us about that Bimmer in the garage and what’s behind doors 86 through 88.
Thank you, I definitely prefer the stock 19" as well. I purchased the winter wheels from a wrecked pre-facelift EX-L. 86 and 87 are not mine (Honda is parked in a protected spot elsewhere), although I know 86 has had a good rotation of older BMWs and motorcycles in it.

That is my '98 328is! I've had it for 16 years (I was 17 years old, now 33) and somehow it has survived through a bit of high school, college and now fully into adulthood. I drove it a number of winters early on but has otherwise only seen summer duty. I plan to wake her up for the season in the next few weeks. I've made a couple minor changes but otherwise it is just a bone-stock automatic 328.

PXL_20210905_231603027.jpg
PXL_20210726_223810281.jpg

I see off they came. I took my Winter tires off a month ago, my ‘all seasons’ are pretty good anyway.

I'm not one for burning up snow tires in warm weather, but one of my co-workers ran his newer WS-80's all summer on a 20 mile commute and they seemed fine! He had 2012 ish Civic so it even had some camber and toe on the rears and they were wearing evenly. I don't know how much depth he lost in that time, but not all of it anyways. We would get a few days of pretty hot pavement as well, 90F + full sun.

Back