Transparent oil filter - great video

Surprised social media is still available there.
Stolen from an article:
Russia has banned Meta, the parent company of Facebook and Instagram, for "extremist activities," while carving out an exception for the company's WhatsApp messaging service. Using Twitter is getting harder too. TikTok is no longer letting people in Russia upload new material after the country passed a law criminalizing so-called "false information" about the invasion.
Other popular apps, like YouTube and messaging app Telegram, are still available and widely used.
Meanwhile, many Russians are outfoxing the bans by turning to virtual private networks, or VPNs, to access blocked social media networks and news sites. VPNs are widely used to get around internet restrictions in places like China. Demand for VPNs in Russia was 2,692% higher on Mar 14 than it was in the week prior to the invasion, according to Top10VPN, a privacy monitoring service.

This is funny since I made the same video 5 months ago. They even used some of the same shots & methods I did by using urethane to attach the transparent filter body to the filter base. It was only a matter of time that they were going to do this, I think I beat them to the punch considering they made a transparent oil pan and valve covers and have a molding machine.

I flushed my engine with Liqui Moly engine flush and then changed the oil 6 times until it came out clear so it would be easier to see clear oil in the housing. I then added old oil to see the transition and filtering action of the media. I went through 4 filters, including a housing with no filter media (to see how oil flows inside) some held up better than others.

Last edited:
Did you wait 12-24 hours for the urethane to cure before trying the experiment? And did you use the primerless to glass kind?
I used windshield urethane on beakers cleaned with IPA and the assemblies cured for over 24 hours. I was contemplating roughing up the mating surfaces with a Dremel though. Maybe I could have researched a better epoxy for the application. I disconnected the fuel pump so the engine wouldn't run to keep the oil pressure low and cranked the starter for a few seconds at a time. I wasn't planning on running the filters for a long time anyway, just enough to get video of oil flow. I had the car jacked up on one side with multiple cameras recording.

Only 17k views in 4 months which is pretty weak but I only have 4700 subscribers. Garage 54 has over 600k subs, with that kind of viewer base your videos gain traction fast.

Their video currently has 153k views which should have yielded them around $300-$400.

With186 Million total channel views, this could have earned them $457,000 maybe more maybe less.

That's 41,740,625 rubles! Certainly a lot of money is Russia.

Many Youtubers like Scotty Kilmer are making thousands of dollars a day. Payment depends on the niche. My estimation is Scotty is a multimillionaire from his channel. 1.8 Billion views = $4.4Million dollar lifetime earnings.

I used windshield urethane on beakers cleaned with IPA and the assemblies cured for over 24 hours. I was contemplating roughing up the mating surfaces with a Dremel though. Maybe I could have researched a better epoxy for the application.
Looks like you used the 3M urethane which requires a primer for maximum adhesion.

I used windshield urethane on beakers cleaned with IPA and the assemblies cured for over 24 hours. I was contemplating roughing up the mating surfaces with a Dremel though. Maybe I could have researched a better epoxy for the application. I disconnected the fuel pump so the engine wouldn't run to keep the oil pressure low and cranked the starter for a few seconds at a time. I wasn't planning on running the filters for a long time anyway, just enough to get video of oil flow. I had the car jacked up on one side with multiple cameras recording.

Only 17k views in 4 months which is pretty weak but I only have 4700 subscribers. Garage 54 has over 600k subs, with that kind of viewer base your videos gain traction fast.

Their video currently has 153k views which should have yielded them around $300-$400.

With186 Million total channel views, this could have earned them $457,000 maybe more maybe less.

That's 41,740,625 rubles! Certainly a lot of money is Russia.

Many Youtubers like Scotty Kilmer are making thousands of dollars a day. Payment depends on the niche. My estimation is Scotty is a multimillionaire from his channel. 1.8 Billion views = $4.4Million dollar lifetime earnings.

I can’t tell if Scotty’s videos are supposed to be humorous, or if he’s being serious. The dude is a total goon.

Looks like you used the 3M urethane which requires a primer for maximum adhesion.
That would have been helpful! I’m actually happy the last filter exploded due to the dramatic effect of the oil the lens and color change.
The very few of his videos I've watched, I wondered if he was on crack or something.
That’s just Scotty’s personality. Its what sells to the general public. I think he had a cable tv show about auto repair before YouTube.

That may be, but between his mannerisms and the click-baity thumbnails he uses, I don't watch his videos.
Scotty is the king of click bait titles and thumbnails! Apparently it’s working though. He can retire many times over.

Back