Transparancy in oil descriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sloinker
The analogy is correct. I'm not making the argument that one is better than the other. I am making the argument that the cost of the synthetics containing little or no IV or V isn't representative of value for the consumer. Same as spending more for premium grade gas such as Chevron's Techron. Most cars don't need it but marketing, perceived or actual benefit of the product sells it to consumers. Can you buy gasoline with little or no detergent and 10% ethanol? Will it work? Is it the best value for the money. Same questions can be said for motor oils that have even less transparancy in their labeling. I would like to know what I'm paying for.

No, the analogy is not correct. 100% Fruit juice with no added sugars is definitively better for everyone than sugar water. However, because PAO and Ester based oils are not definitively better for every vehicle than Group III oils (because most cars receive no extra perceived benefit), the cost of the synthetics containing little or no IV or V is indeed still representative of value for most consumers.

Both my analogies are correct. I am not making the claim that one base oil is better than another for any given application. I will make the claim that the cost of producing different base oils increases as you go from 1 to 5. If two competing oils have widely divergent costs to manufacture is the cheapest one that meets a manufacturers specification the best choice in all situations?

Another complication is the NPV of the base stocks - for example for the longest time XOM's website has not advertised GIII - are they using all of it - or most plus have contracts for the balance? They do have GI, GII+, PAO, mPAO, AN, and ester - so as both a consumer and seller - each would have a value with the company. Sticking with XOM - they have a long history of mixing various base fluids (since they make them all) - so Mobil and other majors can keep high performing lubes at a mainstream price point.

If it means so much to you - just pony up and buy Redline - it's "mostly" ester based ...

Even Redline's standard offerings may not give you the ester concentrations you would expect from the past. I believe they've moved to predominantly PAOs in their standard offerings. If marketing verbiage is any indication, it appears that their Motorcycle oil is still predominantly POE, as they specifically mention the ester base stocks not mentioned on the white bottle products.

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=118&pcid=13
This looks like an incredible oil btw, look at that HTHS, that NOACK and zero shear? Is that real?

Last edited:
Well, nevermind that last post because the white bottle Redline engine oils have ester base stocks mentioned in the 'general points' list entitled ABOUT RED LINE MOTOR OIL where the Motorcycle blends have it mentioned in the specific product description.

So yeah, I guess there's not much to take away from the marketing verbiage regarding base stock blends afterall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back