Transmission Transfusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried out my Flo N Go vacuum extractor. I bought it at Canadian Tire a while back. It has a thick plastic jug that doesn't collapse, and two plastic lines. One line runs to my shop vac and comes with the adapter to hook up to the hose. The other line is a 3/8 inch OD plastic line ( I bought a 10 ft piece) that is placed into the fluid to extract. I got this brainy idea to freshen up my transmission fluid so I put the 3/8 line down the fill tube of my 2000 Winter Beater Ford Taurus. In a rather eerie way it started pulling the reddish brown fluid out sort of like giving blood. I pulled out 6-1/2 liters and it started sucking air. It took about 20 minutes. I then measured the fluid, put in 6-1/2 liters of Mercon V and checked the fluid with the engine hot and running. Worked fine. Yes, I know I did not get to replace the filter or clean the magnet and yes there is still another 7 liters in the engine.

Here are some shots. Enjoy.

FA3AC418-55FC-45DB-B592-ED082519BEDE.jpeg

77C1592F-7B03-4ED3-B9B8-C2B6FA51CCF5.jpeg

4934DB4C-E6F6-41ED-B0CC-30655062F605.jpeg

F1F327CD-F630-430F-A053-715ED907D0F7.jpeg

4D2139D5-ACA6-4AA4-95AB-40475BBC2F87.jpeg

Last edited:
In my Toy/Honda experience changing transmission filters has always been a waste of time. Even at 100,000 I've never seen anything to indicate they needed replacement. So this seems like a pretty tidy way to do it.

I don't like that you're spending my money, though. Flongo is 38 bucks on Amazon....

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
How is this different than just draining the pan and refilling ?

It brings out almost the same amount of fluid ( the rest is up in the torque converter, the transmission lines, and the transmission oil cooler). The downside is that you haven't changed the filter or cleaned the magnet and pan.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Nice!

I've done the same thing with a 5gal bucket with lid, some tubing and a shop vac. It's kind of rough on the shop vac though given the flow is almost entirely blocked through it and they can collapse a 5gal bucket.

You can also reverse the process and use the outlet of the shop vac to pump fluid out of the bucket.

Originally Posted by Linctex
There are better sources of vacuum to be had than wearing out a shop vac

Maybe OP is like me and has a dirt cheap Harbor Freight shop vac and if it blows up in 1 year vs 2 years it doesn't make a big difference?

Looks almost exactly like my siphon pump and an empty bottle of windshield washer fluid with its thick, non-collapsible plastic. Cars love the occasional freshen-up of part of the transmission fluid. This looks slightly neater than the method I used to use, however.

Big kudos to you for actually servicing the transmission fluid, and that looks like a Ford Taurus. Many, many people.. never touch it. Those colors look about exact to what I also observe. Trans fluid looks like motor oil, stains the same too. Yup!

Originally Posted by JTK
Nice!

I've done the same thing with a 5gal bucket with lid, some tubing and a shop vac. It's kind of rough on the shop vac though given the flow is almost entirely blocked through it and they can collapse a 5gal bucket.

You can also reverse the process and use the outlet of the shop vac to pump fluid out of the bucket.

It is not rough on the shop vac. If you block the inlet of a shop vac you can actually hear the motor speed up and that is because there is less load on the motor with the inlet blocked. The impeller is spinning in a partial vacuum and not moving much air.

Originally Posted by Donald
I do not think pumping something like the MityVac is a big deal. Not sure the help of a vacuum is that big a deal.

The MityVac would still be my choice.

I agree.

Another thing I noticed about the Shop Vac setup is that the hose for the vacuum fits inside the nipple rather than over top the nipple. This allows a side slip of air to come into the main vacuum hose and some air still travels through the motor to cool it.

42FB9AE8-FA5D-4A93-AD5B-988D7BD45884.jpeg

D2077DD8-5F74-4305-92E5-D5E6F30724C7.jpeg

Costco.ca has them for the Canucks in the crowd.
08.gif

https://www.costco.ca/Scepter-Flo-n%E2%80%99-go-Fluid-Extraction-System-.product.100279518.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back