Transmission - to flush or not to flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! I have an 01 Ford Ranger (see signature) with 145k on the clock that I am getting ready to take on a 10 hour road trip (Louisville KY to Destin FL). I flushed the transmission at 30k and 60k with Motorcraft Mercon V, and flushed using Mobil 1 ATF at 90k. The question is should I flush again since the current fill has roughly 55k on it? I wonder how long the M1 ATF is good. The guy at the transmission shop said he wouldn't flush until the fluid has at least 75k on it. What would you guys do?

I think waiting until the 75k miles mark will be just fine. I'm careful to start doing something like this before a major road trip anyway.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
+2 Don't mess with stuff before a road trip.

+1 all that especially installing a new filter before a trip with multiple new failure opportunities.

How's the transmission shifting?

I'm one of those that likes to change fluids AFTER a road tip. Highway trips are easy on the tranny / oil and why dump it early? This synthetic oil is a 60k oil at a minimum!

I say you use it up during the trip and change it when you get back, so there's fresh fluid protecting the transmission during cold / city driving, where it matters most.

Originally Posted By: PW01
I flushed the transmission at 30k and 60k with Motorcraft Mercon V, and flushed using Mobil 1 ATF at 90k.

Just curious- how did you flush with M1? Was it a pan drop, filter replacement and M1 ATF refill, or was a flush machine hooked to your truck and M1 ATF put into the machine as the inbound fluid?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
...use dealer only filters

Why dealer only? I've recently used Wix transmission filters in two trucks, a Dodge and a Ford, and both have been fine and had no issues. The Ford's transmission performance actually seemed to improve with the Wix over the OEM.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Im with merkava 4 i just drain and fill and change filter every 2 years and use dealer only filters

You don't need to use dealer only filters. Motorcraft transmission filter are just Fram Microfelt filters at double the price.

D&F + filter change... AFTER the trip.

I bought my Motorcraft trans filter for qt on Mobil1. Get the Castrol Transmax Mercon V -- or if you have a WallyWorld nearby, pick up the Supertech Mercon V. I just did my trans and TC with it and all is well.

Just do some drain and refills, but wait until after the road trip. If something goes wrong you dont want it to be far away from home or on the highway. I say do it when you get back from your trip, no need to wait until 75K. I do a drain and fill on my Honda (3 quarts) every year.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
I flushed the transmission at 30k and 60k with Motorcraft Mercon V, and flushed using Mobil 1 ATF at 90k.

Just curious- how did you flush with M1? Was it a pan drop, filter replacement and M1 ATF refill, or was a flush machine hooked to your truck and M1 ATF put into the machine as the inbound fluid?

A buddy and I did the "2 bucket method" at his shop, so the in line drew in the fresh fluid and it was pumped out of the out line. We ran 12 quarts (10 quart system) through it and then topped off

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider

A buddy and I did the "2 bucket method" at his shop, so the in line drew in the fresh fluid and it was pumped out of the out line. We ran 12 quarts (10 quart system) through it and then topped off

This wont work, the pump picks up fluid from the pan area and sucks it through the filter. You will end up pushing your old fluid out both lines which means you will contaminate your new fluid with your old fluid. Pull the hose off the bottom of your cooler that goes to the fitting that goes back to the transmission and not the radiator. Plug this end. I used a bolt stuck in the end and tightened a hose clamp around it. Put a piece of tubing of the same diameter and about 1'-2' long so that it reaches easily into a bucket or other container that is marked in 1 quart increments. Start your engine and wait about 4-5 seconds for 1 quart to drain. Shut off your Engine. Poor a new quart back into the transmission fill hole. Repeat process until your fluid is coming out looking almost as clean as the new fluid you are putting in. The last time I did this, it took 19 quarts before I was satisfied with the cleanliness of the fluid coming out.

It was several years ago, so I don't really remember what lines he used. I just remember we let it run until fresh fluid started coming out

It's a no brainer on most cars.

On our fleet GM products we simply put a piece of tubing on the output line from the trans, point it into a bucket, start engine. Watch carefully for bubbles, immediately shut down. Add 5 quarts, repeat. Takes 15 quarts to do ours to shiny new fluid.

Not a substitute for a filter service. Just remember, the trans generates the overwhelming majority of its junk in the first 15-30k miles. After that the flush is fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back