Transmission temp help!

Originally Posted by skyactiv
it's possible you reduced the lifespan of the transmission and there is no way to tell. I would add a transmission cooler.

I would install the largest external cooler that was practical and probably recommend a ATF pan drop / filter change . Consider also installing a new pan with a drain plug .

What might help is a description of the ambient temps, and the specific conditions you were driving under. Example- Long uphill at low speed on a hot day ? Worst case I would plan on a transmission fluid change.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Originally Posted by zx6rsi
"Yet some people say once the lights on its done permanent damage already".

welcome2.gif

Then what would be the purpose of the Dash Light ?
Looks to me like you took the correct action.

To be fair, isn't the idiot light on the dash for oil pressure like that? When it comes on, it's all over with.

Originally Posted by eljefino
32.gif
Seems like maybe the dodge engineers should have the trans change into "nearly tow mode" when the temp hits 240 or so whether the driver wants it or not. Whatever it takes, firmer shifts, better cooling, whatever.

Yep! One or two lines of code and it's failsafe. Sheesh. It's nice to tell it proactively "hey, change your shift points, ya are going to be used and hard!" but it can't be that hard to figure out.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by skyactiv
it's possible you reduced the lifespan of the transmission and there is no way to tell. I would add a transmission cooler.

I would install the largest external cooler that was practical and probably recommend a ATF pan drop / filter change . Consider also installing a new pan with a drain plug .

Why? Once he hit the tow button, temps went back to normal.

If it was me, I'd just shorten the change interval and then ignore the incident. The longer you drive past this this one overheat the more likely you won't be able to pinpoint any future failure to this one incident. Many people have had transmissions die at various miles without towing, just the nature of the beast for what is otherwise a wear item.

Is that kinda what everyone is recommending a pan drop and filter change rather then a full flush? I was thinking a pan drop and filter change and then another pan drop and filter change in like 3,000 miles

Back