Transmission problems

2013 Mercedes e550. 722.9 transmission that’s also found in some American cars.

What are signs of overfilled transmission? Bouncing tach? Rough shifting? Slipping gears?

So I did a transmission flush. Felt fine after I did it, even drove on it for a month. But the other day I noticed the rpm gauge bouncing a little, and sluggish shifting after long drives. I’m thinking I’m low on fluid. So I add a whole liter of fluid. Test drive, and it’s 10 times worse! So common logic tells you that it wasn’t under filled, but over filled. So I removed the liter, and removed another liter. It shifts and rides better now, but the rpm still bounces a little, ever so slightly. Perhaps the transmission is re-adjusting? Or that excess fluid is making its way down? Maybe I should remove another 1/4 liter?

There's some elaborate procedure on getting the temperature of the transmission fluid and filling it at the correct temperature. No idea what the symptoms of overfilling are. I just cruise the Mercedes forums so I just report what I read there. Most people there are pretty anal about getting the correct fluid level. Try posting on mbworld.org, gets more traffic than benzworld for the E class.

Sluggish could also mean it needs a transmission reset. They tend to get sluggish after a while and a reset wakes it up. Otherwise could also be bad conductor plate if it's not the fluid level. But that doesn't seem to be very common these days, the transmissions have been getting better in the later years.

surely there is a way to properly check the fluid level!!! i would search model specific forums for possible info or be prepared + go to a STEALER $$$$ before it gets killed $$$$$$

There's some elaborate procedure on getting the temperature of the transmission fluid and filling it at the correct temperature. No idea what the symptoms of overfilling are. I just cruise the Mercedes forums so I just report what I read there. Most people there are pretty anal about getting the correct fluid level. Try posting on mbworld.org, gets more traffic than benzworld for the E class.

Sluggish could also mean it needs a transmission reset. They tend to get sluggish after a while and a reset wakes it up. Otherwise could also be bad conductor plate if it's not the fluid level. But that doesn't seem to be very common these days, the transmissions have been getting better in the later years.
Guys in MB world guesses a whole lot. They really don’t know much themselves. I do believe it was just overfilled. After I let out the 1 liter, and an additional 1 liter, it’s driving much better. I will let it sit overnight and take a drive tomorrow and re-access. Thank you for the help

Guys in MB world guesses a whole lot. They really don’t know much themselves. I do believe it was just overfilled. After I let out the 1 liter, and an additional 1 liter, it’s driving much better. I will let it sit overnight and take a drive tomorrow and re-access. Thank you for the help
There are some very knowledgeable individuals in MB World, You're bolding going where no one without the proper tools or knowledge ought to go;) No $65 scanner will give you the info you need, you'll have to go to something worth several hundreds $$$. MB tranny fluid exchange are not easy to do especially if one doesn't have a car lift.

There are some very knowledgeable individuals in MB World, You're bolding going where no one without the proper tools or knowledge ought to go;) No $65 scanner will give you the info you need, you'll have to go to something worth several hundreds $$$. MB tranny fluid exchange are not easy to do especially if one doesn't have a car lift.
It’s not that bad. I’ve never used a lift to do my transmission flushes. 😜

Will I need a special Xentry scanner to get readings or will a $65 scanner be sufficient? Thinking about buying an icarsoft
You only need Xentry if you're doing special mods where you need to change some values. Otherwise a standard scanner that does MB specific codes will do. I don't remember if the temperature of the transmission fluid is easily accessible but I think that's part of changing the fluid, there's a specific procedure to fill it up til it starts to overflow at a certain temperature and that's when you know it's full. You'd have to search the old threads. There's a few people on there that know what they're doing. Or just get the WIS and follow the MB procedure. You can get a knock off copy on eBay in the $10 range. Don't get it from the cheapest guy, get it from someone that has sold a lot, there have been comments that some of them have malware as it's a knock off copy. Just search for Mercedes WIS/EPC on eBay. iCarsoft is pretty popular and gets mentioned a lot. I have an older Launch product, I think their newest one is Thinkcar Pro which is in the $50 range on Amazon. Not too many use it though so I don't know if the transmission temperature is easily accessible.

I think you need ATF 134 FE, used to be a tad over $60 for a case of 12 quarts from a Shell distributor, not sure what they charge now.

There's also a few youtube videos on how to change the fluid.

Here's a few threads to read:

You only need Xentry if you're doing special mods where you need to change some values. Otherwise a standard scanner that does MB specific codes will do. I don't remember if the temperature of the transmission fluid is easily accessible but I think that's part of changing the fluid, there's a specific procedure to fill it up til it starts to overflow at a certain temperature and that's when you know it's full. You'd have to search the old threads. There's a few people on there that know what they're doing. Or just get the WIS and follow the MB procedure. You can get a knock off copy on eBay in the $10 range. Don't get it from the cheapest guy, get it from someone that has sold a lot, there have been comments that some of them have malware as it's a knock off copy. Just search for Mercedes WIS/EPC on eBay. iCarsoft is pretty popular and gets mentioned a lot. I have an older Launch product, I think their newest one is Thinkcar Pro which is in the $50 range on Amazon. Not too many use it though so I don't know if the transmission temperature is easily accessible.

I think you need ATF 134 FE, used to be a tad over $60 for a case of 12 quarts from a Shell distributor, not sure what they charge now.

There's also a few youtube videos on how to change the fluid.

Here's a few threads to read:

Thanks for reply. Yeah the 722.9 is a little more difficult than the 722.6. Getting the temperature exactly right and letting the correct amount drip out is imperative. I pretty much know the exact procedure of doing it, as I watched plenty of videos. But the room for error is so much larger than the 722.6

Back