Transmission fluid For Volvo's

Hello, I have a 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD and would like to know what is the best transmission fluid for that model?

Maxlife
smile.gif

IIRC those used Mobil 3309 fluid which is the same as Toyota T-IV, so anything that meets those specs. IPD has a nice kit that everyone on the Volvo forums recommended when I had my S60R.

Last edited:
Valvoline Maxlife is the best fluid you can get from the store.

But if price and shipping time is not a concern for you - Redline D4 ATF is your absolute best bet.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Look into PENTOSIN. atf , i would not put maxlife in a Volvo .

It's an Aisin (Toyota) transmission
[Linked Image]

Maxlife will be fine
smile.gif

What? Why? Maxlife is better than 2004 Volvo factory fill.

The XC90 T6 in the OPs car uses a GM transmission. I have read it is a 4T65EV-GT.

So basically a good multi-vehicle synthetic transmission fluid would work... Redline, Amsoil or pentosin?

Originally Posted by charmer37
So basically a good multi-vehicle synthetic transmission fluid would work... Redline, Amsoil or pentosin?

Yes, and you may also consider a D4 as suggested by someone above.

Pentosin seems like a "boutique" oil in US. But in Germany (where Pentosin is from) it is considered as one of the most average "eh" oils out there.

Maxlife will serve Volvo well. I got Maxlife going into my 2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD. Also just installed Maxlife in 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan 4-Motion(awd) and have yet to find any issues. Shifting actually improved over time in the VW Tiguan.

I also have Pentosin in a vw and doing well . Going to be putting it in a Volvo soon , they are both AISIN transmissions . My issue with maxlife is it basically claims every trans. made in the last 20 years . Pentosin has different formulas for different applications . Normally a fluid like that lacks in certain areas in my opinion .

I just run Mobil 3309 (Toyota T-IV) and do drain/ fills every 30k or so. I can't remember what I paid, but the 'Yoda dealer has it at less than $4 a quart.

Maxlife is a low viscosity fluid and the 3309 is a tad thicker too.

If it does have a GM transmission, it may need something else.

As previously stated the XC-90 T6 has a GM transmission. I've owned one of these vehicles before and the tranny is the weak link in this model. Changing the fluid early and often may save you a lot of $$$. There is an after market tranny pan with a drain bolt, highly recommended. NB:The proper drain pan has a different bolt configuration/size than other GM models. Use Maxlife, D4, or any DEX-VI fluid, period.

https://zzperformance.com/collections/3800/products/4t65e-aluminum-transmission-pan

I've used Toyota T-IV in my 02 Volvo, and the transmission is still running strong at over 200K. Can anyone else give long term data?

WorldPac shows a ton of approved fluids for that transmission. Bilstein 29934, Pentosin D6, Redline D4, Motul Multi Atf, Liqui Moly TopTec 1200. Genuine Toyota ATF as well, Type T-IV. Toyota and Bilstein are conventional, so keep the interval in mind when using these, the others are synthetic

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vladiator

Pentosin seems like a "boutique" oil in US. But in Germany (where Pentosin is from) it is considered as one of the most average "eh" oils out there.

Maxlife will serve Volvo well. I got Maxlife going into my 2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD. Also just installed Maxlife in 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan 4-Motion(awd) and have yet to find any issues. Shifting actually improved over time in the VW Tiguan.

I will agree with using maxlife in a VW/Audi transmission, I'm using maxlife in my 2001 Audi A6 2.7T and so far the transmission shifts great...No problems.

2004 Volvo XC90 have the 4-speed automatic (on models with 6-cylinder turbo engines):
Dexron III G (Volvo P/N 1161521) and 5-speed automatic (on models with 5-cylinder turbo engines):
Volvo synthetic transmission oil Volvo P/N 1161540

open-uri20150707-21701-skxq6q_.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
IIRC those used Mobil 3309 fluid which is the same as Toyota T-IV, so anything that meets those specs. IPD has a nice kit that everyone on the Volvo forums recommended when I had my S60R.

Thanks

Back