Transmission fluid 261K miles, never serviced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Doesn't Dorman make a aftermarket transmission pan with a drain bolt in it for that transmission?

Yup, had one on an old Malibu with the same engine. Super easy in terms of changing the fluid.

Regarding the cobalt, it is working, SELL IT. You got lucky and frankly I think it is worth it to move on before it get's worse

Are you sure this a GM transmission? Only Honda transmissions produce metal chunks like those in the pictures:)

Last edited:
GAH! That's unnerving. Glad to hear that the fluid and filter changed got it moving again.

As others have said as well, I'm very curious as to where those metal bits came from. I'd be concerned that the missing bits are a sign of more to come. Who knows, maybe he'll luck out. If he likes the care, I say keep driving it, but make sure he either has AAA or his insurance offers roadside service w/ towing.

I'd also suggest to him that if he wants to keep it, he should consider watching craigslist/ebay/etc.. for a decent used trans to replace his with when it ultimately does give out. Buy it when he can get one for cheap rather than wait until he's stuck.

... and this is why I despise the term "lifetime fill" for anything automobile related. Nothing is really "lifetime fill" - maybe 100,000 miles tops - but the term leads less-informed people down the wrong path and this is what happens.

Your buddy is lucky to have received your help. If that were my car, I'd drive that car as-is for another 2000 miles or so, and then do another drain & fill on the fluid, just to make sure I got out any additional crud. If it still seemed to be in working order, I'd also swap out the pan with one that has a drain plug, or install some other method of draining the fluid.

Normally I agree that "lifetime fill" is bogus, and you should always change fluid. But this time I'm not sure. 261k miles is a very good lifespan for any automatic transmission, regardless of its maintainance history. Even if it had regular fluid changes every 30k and the transmission failed right now at 261k, that's good service and the transmission has now reached the end of its life. So since this trans is at end of life (living a good long time, as long as anyone can reasonably expect a transmission to last) and it never had a fluid change, the fluid did indeed last the life of the transmission. You can argue that it may have lasted even longer with fluid changes, but the truth is nobody will ever know for sure if it would have. Like I said, it could have just as easily failed at this mileage even with regular fluid changes.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
What is the year,make and model of the car?

This is a 2009 Chevy Cobalt with the 2.2 Engine.

The chunks in the photo appear large enough to ascertain the part they came from.

Taking a spirited drive on an undulating, mountainous road will tell a lot.

I agre with snagging a replacement trans or making an appointment with a good rebuilder.

Did you save the debris? I bet a trannie rebuilder can read those tea leaves. Kira

I would drop that pan again, sift the fluid to reuse it, and change the filter.

I have 293k on a 98 Cavalier auto. 386k on my Accords 4 speed. I'll stick to my 30-40k drain and fills.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Normally I agree that "lifetime fill" is bogus, and you should always change fluid. But this time I'm not sure. 261k miles is a very good lifespan for any automatic transmission, regardless of its maintainance history. Even if it had regular fluid changes every 30k and the transmission failed right now at 261k, that's good service and the transmission has now reached the end of its life. So since this trans is at end of life (living a good long time, as long as anyone can reasonably expect a transmission to last) and it never had a fluid change, the fluid did indeed last the life of the transmission. You can argue that it may have lasted even longer with fluid changes, but the truth is nobody will ever know for sure if it would have. Like I said, it could have just as easily failed at this mileage even with regular fluid changes.

I agree it did well. I had an Explorer that still failed even with regular Mercon V changes. Servo bores, 90,000 miles. I would have been over the moon with 261K. And thousands of dollars richer.
The debris looks like gear material. Hard part getting ready to fail completely.

261K that's one tough tranny!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Jokes aside, best bet is to trade it in while you can!

Last edited:
obviously those were extra parts and not needed since it still works without them. At least thats what I tell myself when I am done working on the car and I have extra parts that I dont know where go.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
You're a good friend.

It might be a candidate for a magnefine and some more drain & fills.

I actually have some extra magnafine filters however I did not bring them to this job. I had to do this job in my friends garage, not my own. So I had to pack everything I needed up and bring it over. And even if I did bring one, not sure I could have found a good place to put it inline with the fuild on this car

Originally Posted By: E150GT
obviously those were extra parts and not needed since it still works without them. At least thats what I tell myself when I am done working on the car and I have extra parts that I dont know where go.

When the parts you find have readable serial numbers on them, then I get worried!

Originally Posted By: Timo325
I feel nauseated, think I'm gonna change the Mustang's out this weekend.

Good on you, for taking care of your friend. Thanks for the pictures.

I change mine yearly!

I think I change it more than I change the engine oil, actually.

Originally Posted By: ZX11Rebel
Are you sure this a GM transmission? Only Honda transmissions produce metal chunks like those in the pictures:)

No metal chunks to speak of in any Honda I have owned, our Chevy Uplander had them though
wink.gif

Really though, 261K is a great run for a transmission! I do believe in frequent drain and fills though, and I bet it would have gone farther if it had better maintenance.

WOW!! Those pictures are NASTY!

Please keep us updated on the status of transmission if he decides to keep the car.

Thanks.

Yuck! Glad you got everything working again
thumbsup2.gif

Dorman makes a transmission pan with a drain plug, so you don't have to drop the pan again
smile.gif

Very interesting...subscribed.

It may fail or it may soldier on....can't tell for sure but hopefully he's saving up for a rebuild when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back