Transmission Filter recommendation needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to change the transmission fluid in an Olds Alero in a few days and plan to replace the filter while I'm at it. I have Napa, Oreilly, AZ and Advance near me. The choices I have are:

Duralast (AZ)
Power Torque (Oreilley)
Wix (Oreilley) but have to order
Ac Delco (Oreilley) but have to order
Pro-King (Advance)
A/Trsax Filter (Napa)

Which of the above filters would be a good choice?

Thanks

I recommend the GM one. It should be stamped "Filtran" somewhere on the metal part of the filter.

Also some of the gaskets that come with filters are pretty junky. May want to get a Felpro gasket if you do not get the AC/Delco gasket. I assume the AC/Delco will have a good gasket.

Now is the time to add a Magnefine. No more changing the filter in the transmission.

I used to get CQ filters they were Filtran branded but i think that is not the case anymore. Filtran=good.

Champ Labs, Wix and Purolator trans filters are all good. FYI-Champ makes a lot of "national auto parts store sourced" trans filters so you may end up with one that has another "brand" on it. lol

Originally Posted By: Donald
Also some of the gaskets that come with filters are pretty junky. May want to get a Felpro gasket if you do not get the AC/Delco gasket. I assume the AC/Delco will have a good gasket.

That is true...OEM's usually have the best trans pan gaskets.

I have a Pro-King on the Malibu and a A/Trsax on the Windstar. Have no idea what the spec's are on them, but AFAIK they're doing the job required.

I have used mostly Duralast and the gaskets were always good. used a Wix for the first time not to long ago. It had a good gasket as well.

Last edited:
I plan to re-use the Alero pan gasket. Did you notice any difference in the way the Duralast and Wix filter was constructed? Or did they both look about the same?

Filtran (which according to the above post is OE) because I know their Microfelt media is one of the most efficient on the market, 80um absolute. That may be the same stuff used by Fram (it's possible Fram might even be buying Filtran fitlers and reboxing). There may be many other good ones but Filtran is the only one I have been able to get documentation on. I'd rather buy a product whose performance I know than one I don't.

Originally Posted By: daman
I used to get CQ filters they were Filtran branded but i think that is not the case anymore. Filtran=good.

Daman, I bought a CarQuest tranny filter over a year ago because it had Filtran references on it's literature (box/instructions), i.e. - "made by Filtran" and all that implies.

When I opened it up, it was labeled "made in China". I returned it and paid $4 more for a US made Filtran from the dealer. In spite of my diligence, the Mopar tranny [censored] out a half year later.

+1 on the Felpro tranny gaskets. They come packaged flat in a box (not folded up) and are VERY stout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back