Transmission Drain and Fill Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to do a full transmission service on my wife's 2006 Toyota Sienna 3.3L V6. I will be doing a drain, drop the pan, clean the magnets, replace the strainer & gasket, installing a magnetic drain plug (Toyota's don't come with them) and filling it back up! Also, pulling the cooler line and doing another 8 quarts of OEM Fluid. My question is should I be adding an additive? Lubeguard, etc... I do not know anything about additives please help!

I would add a bottle of Lubeguard red to the Toyota T-IV fluid that I assume you are going to use. It can't hurt and can only help. It is one of the additives that really works, IMO.

Yes I will be adding Toyota Type IV fluid... I have heard people using Valvoline, Redline, Castrol Import, but I feel Toyota's transmission have a good reputation so why mess with it! I am open to suggestions though!

How many miles are on the car? What kind of fluid service has been done up to now?

If you want to do a step-up from the OE fluid and maybe save some money then use Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF. If you want to stick with the OE fluid then I'd suggest doing more frequent drain & fills (the severe service or sooner should be OK).

Additives are unnecessary unless you are addressing an issue or are dealing with a known problematic transmission.

Last edited:
I recommend that you just do a drain and fill. If it is anything like my 2000 Sienna it has a drain plug and is very easy to do.

I have done this frequently (approx every 2 years) on my van and it still shifts perfectly at 310,000 km. On my 2000 a drain an fill takes about 3 litres.

Just make sure to use the right liquid: if your AT is a 5-speed (which I thought they coupled with 3.3 engines as opposed to the 3.0's) and doesn't have a dipstick then you should definetely use the Toyota WS, not type IV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: banzaj
Just make sure to use the right liquid: if your AT is a 5-speed (which I thought they coupled with 3.3 engines as opposed to the 3.0's) and doesn't have a dipstick then you should definetely use the Toyota WS, not type IV.

His van most likely takes the type IV fluid. Just use the Toyota fluid, and it will be fine. It`s all I use in mine, I stopped adding the lube guard Red. I didnt like the way it would down shift (passing gear)with the LG. Much smoother with no additives.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

His van most likely takes the type IV fluid. Just use the Toyota fluid, and it will be fine.

I am almost sure for WS for all sealed Toyota 5-speed automatic transmissions without dipsticks as opposed to the 4-speeds, and I think your RX-330 has one of these. I presume his Sienna is also built on the same platform as yours/ Camry/ Highlander. Why not checking your manual again just to be sure?

Last edited:
I have the same vehicle. I have only ever done a drain and fill using T-IV/3309. Fluid is never dark or burnt when I replace it, so it seems to hold up well. My transmission has had no issues, and is currently at about 100,000 miles.

This model year, I can confirm takes T-IV and not WS. It is on 2007 they made the switch on some units installed in this van to WS, and you need to check the dipstick to verify.

Yes, the owner's manual states Type IV or the Mobil13309 equivalent. I have done a drain and fill at 40K and will do another drain and fill at 70k.. The transmission seems really strong to me but I am not mechanic. I have ordered a magnetic drain plug and will install it then along with dropping the pan and installing a new "stainer" with gasket. Furthermore, I will be pulling a transmission cooler line and putting in my remaining 8 +/- quarts of fluid! Any suggestions? I can't find a good place to put a Magneline filter on my 2006 Toyota Sienna LE 3.3L.

I have 2006 camry v6 with 285,000 miles. I do drain/refill every 30k so on. I only use toyota t-iv. I loose the transmission drain plug half way to drain the fluid out. it work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back