Transmission Cooler Observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still playing with the Toyota Echo, I installed a Trucool LPD 4544 transmission cooler last week.

Currently bypassing the radiator. This car has a dummy light for when the engine is warm (160 degrees coolant temp and the light turns off and 4th gear overdrive is available).

Since the install I have noticed is that the dummy light goes off in half the time/distance I am used to.

I have been driving it for 3 years. Rain, snow or shine the dummy light has always gone off at the fourth traffic light from my house. Since taking the tranny fluid out of the radiator the dummy light goes off at the second traffic light from my house. Went from about a mile to warm up to about half a mile.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I'm surprised the transmission fluid would have that large of an effect on the coolant warming up.

I dont have anyway of monitoring the transmission temperature, so I will probably put the cooler in line with the radiator before it gets to freezing. Until then I might take advantage of the better fuel economy and emissions from super fast engine warm ups.

Originally Posted by mcwilly
I dont have anyway of monitoring the transmission temperature, so I will probably put the cooler in line with the radiator before it gets to freezing.

I piece of cardboard in the grill wouldn't be good too, Eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back