Transmission clunk, I cannot figure it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting this odd 'clunking' noise from the transmission on my Sedona intermittently now for the past 6 months or so. Sometimes it goes away completely for up to a week, then comes back. Basically whenever I shift it into gear, whether it be reverse or drive, it makes a 'clunk'. Also if I'm coasting down the road, then reapply the throttle, it also clunks. Oddly, I had the van up on a lift a few months back, and while sitting inside and shifting the gear lever, you can easily hear the noise. But from outside the vehicle, you cannot hear a thing! Even with my ear right next to the transmission, I couldn't hear anything odd. It's so strange... the transmission still shifts very nicely and has no other issues. The transmission and engine mounts are also solid and in great shape, and have no excess movement (verified by an auto technician). What else could it be? Like I said, the transmission operates just fine, but the noise gets a bit annoying after awhile. Fluid is clean and cherry red as always, FWIW.

Thats odd, I would still vote engine/transmission mount. The auto tech at our local shop also "confirmed" that the engine mounts in the Uplander were fine yet you can clearly see the rubber gasket is completely torn through allowing excess movement.

The warranty on the van is up. I thought possibly a heat shield, but the clunk sounds too solid for that. I'm still convinced the mounts are good. We examined each one and none had tears or cracking. We also loaded the motor, and also moved each one with a pry bar, and they were still solid.

If its AWD or RWD check ujoints or flexible driveshaft coupling.

If its FWD check CVJs. You have lash in the driveline somewhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
The transmission and engine mounts are also solid and in great shape, and have no excess movement (verified by an auto technician).

How did he check them? What you're describing is a dead ringer for transmission / motor mounts.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
The transmission and engine mounts are also solid and in great shape, and have no excess movement (verified by an auto technician).

How did he check them? What you're describing is a dead ringer for transmission / motor mounts.

Loaded the engine, while visibly checking movement of each mount, and listening to each one move under load. As to the person who said CV joint... maybe... but I'd hope not. Especially with only 70k on the clock.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Motor mounts or worn exhaust hangers/exhaust hitting the body. I've had both make nasty clunks.

I agree with the above statement. But check things like sway bar end links and other bushings as well.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Motor mounts or worn exhaust hangers/exhaust hitting the body. I've had both make nasty clunks.

I agree with the above statement. But check things like sway bar end links and other bushings as well.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

What you're describing is a dead ringer for transmission / motor mounts.

+3

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

End links were just replaced yesterday. That fixed the end link noise, but not the other clunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back