Transition to a Larger Boat, Courses

Hi All, long story short, the family finally found something we all enjoy together...even the teenager. Realigning hobbies, selling toys, and bought a bigger boat.

Upgrading from running an 18' inboard on a pond to 33' coastal cruising is a major step, not the least is learning how to maneuver at the marina. We are hiring an instructor Captain for initial training, but I also plan to take courses over the cold season. I want to do this right and safely and I know enough to realize that boating around Buzzards Bay is a challenge.

Looking for others' experience on transitioning to larger boats, specifically what courses folks took; USPS, BoatUS, etc.

Thanks all!
No advice really; i'm only a trailer boat guy, but kudos for realizing you don't know what you don't know and wanting to learn rather than just go out there and wing it. edit: no pun intended.

Last edited:
Coast guard Aux can be helpful, but its really about seat time.

In many ways twins are easier than singles especially at the dock.

bring it in with the wheel neutral and bump the trans sticks at idle - way easier than jockeying a single.
I spent some time in Florida when I was 13-14 and was around boats daily. One captain showed me some tricks because I was fascinated with driving or operating anything. Had a 3 engine center console, it was a Yellowfin I think. One engine in reverse and one in forward and it would spin on a dime with just a throttle bump. Found it way easier to control than even a small single engine boat.

One thing I will say having learned the hard way is have a VERY good chartplotter/gps . There are LOTS of things hiding just under the water. One decent tap on a drive can add up to 10k$ so fast it will make your head spin:D
Wings&Wheels looks to have a similar airplane I got my license in so I have a feeling he knows how much a prop strike can ruin your day and wallet!! Good advice though

Back