Transition to a Larger Boat, Courses

Hi All, long story short, the family finally found something we all enjoy together...even the teenager. Realigning hobbies, selling toys, and bought a bigger boat.

Upgrading from running an 18' inboard on a pond to 33' coastal cruising is a major step, not the least is learning how to maneuver at the marina. We are hiring an instructor Captain for initial training, but I also plan to take courses over the cold season. I want to do this right and safely and I know enough to realize that boating around Buzzards Bay is a challenge.

Looking for others' experience on transitioning to larger boats, specifically what courses folks took; USPS, BoatUS, etc.

Thanks all!

US Power Squadron and, I believe, Coast Guard Auxiliary have classes (usually in the Winter) and present you with a Certificate of Completion when finished. Be sure to notify your insurance company upon completion. Sometimes they give a discount, sometimes they require it.

One thing I will say having learned the hard way is have a VERY good chartplotter/gps . There are LOTS of things hiding just under the water. One decent tap on a drive can add up to 10k$ so fast it will make your head spin:D

Coast guard Aux can be helpful, but its really about seat time.

In many ways twins are easier than singles especially at the dock.

bring it in with the wheel neutral and bump the trans sticks at idle - way easier than jockeying a single.

As mentioned twin engines are easier to use to dock than a single screw. Bow thruster even better. Buy & read a book called "Boat Docking" by Charles T Row.
You will need to spend time learning how to use all the electronics on your larger boat. Hand held VHF radio is a must in addition to your main VHF radio..
I would look into the electronic emergency light that is USCG approved. Flares are pretty nasty and expire. They drip hot burning stuff on your boat or shoes.
Your crew needs to learn how to help the captain. With a large heavy boat they can no longer try and prevent bumping the dock by pushing away from dock with their hands.
No such thing as too many fenders. Don't skimp on dock lines.
Read how to fuel safely. Everyone off the boat. Hatches closed, fans off.

Thanks all, all good advice.

This boat has a good chart plotter, bow thruster and a joystick which my instructor and great friend wont let me touch :) . Learning to primarily use the levers at low speeds is new to me, and the bow thruster helps. The marina is tight....

Thanks for the book reference.

As mentioned twin engines are easier to use to dock than a single screw. Bow thruster even better. Buy & read a book called "Boat Docking" by Charles T Row.
You will need to spend time learning how to use all the electronics on your larger boat. Hand held VHF radio is a must in addition to your main VHF radio..
I would look into the electronic emergency light that is USCG approved. Flares are pretty nasty and expire. They drip hot burning stuff on your boat or shoes.
Your crew needs to learn how to help the captain. With a large heavy boat they can no longer try and prevent bumping the dock by pushing away from dock with their hands.
No such thing as too many fenders. Don't skimp on dock lines.
Read how to fuel safely. Everyone off the boat. Hatches closed, fans off.
This statement is almost exactly the narrative of my first lesson! thanks.

Thanks all, all good advice.

This boat has a good chart plotter, bow thruster and a joystick which my instructor and great friend wont let me touch :) . Learning to primarily use the levers at low speeds is new to me, and the bow thruster helps. The marina is tight....

Thanks for the book reference.

Your friend is correct - Keep your hands off that bow thruster for now.

You can do it perfectly with the sticks.

Do you have outdrives or inboards with a rudder?

Can you get the setup to bump one forward and the other back, then the opposite - with one hand while at idle?

Curious if one hand can cover the distance on both with that setup.

Can you get the setup to bump one forward and the other back, then the opposite - with one hand while at idle?

Curious if one hand can cover the distance on both with that setup.
Hi, yes I can, once I get used to the controls. They are fly by wire, and have no reel mechanical feel, but yes I can move each one with the 2 fingers on that side of the quadrant.
GW f h.jpg

Hi, yes I can, once I get used to the controls. They are fly by wire, and have no reel mechanical feel, but yes I can move each one with the 2 fingers on that side of the quadrant.
View attachment 66770

Then you should be in good shape to learn on the sticks

It can get kind of dicey if you need to reach your right hand across to get and use the sticks.

You'll get it down, it won't take long, you'll only need that bow thruster in a high wind scenario, if even then.

congrats boating brother! Ive got a 28 footer (30 with swinstep) single 700 HP rig and its about as big as Id ever go with a single.

IMG_1600.jpeg

Back