Trans Fluid Choice for 2012 Rav 4 / 4Cyl

Far from knowledgeable on the 4speed transmission in the Toyota Rav4 4 cylinder. Vehicle is coming to my son later in March. The vehicle has a little under 50k miles on it. I plan on filter (assuming filter on these and not a screen) and trans fluid change. I'm reading it calls for ATF4 or Dexron ViAutomatic fluid? What fluid do you guys recommend for this?

Originally I was thinking MaxLife ATF but I don't see it as compatible. Interested to hear recommendations.

The dipstick will have the proper fluid stamped on it. I just serviced a 2016 Corolla (113K) with MaxLife; it called for WS.
You are doing the right thing; service that transmission! By the way, the MityVac did a great job of sucking the fluid outta the dipstick.

Where are you reading that? What happened to WS?

Maxlife is a suitable substitute for T-IV and WS in transmissions specifying those fluids

Googler searched 2012 Rav 4 4speed specs. This is why I asked first. The only other Toyota I've owned (serviced) was an early 90's Camry. I've never come across Dexron ViAutomatic fluid.....

That Rav4 should have the U760F 6 speed or U151E 5 speed transmission, which requires Toyota WS.
Maxlife is a great replacement for WS fluid, as is Dex VI.
Both are fully synthetic fluids and in my opinion are better than OEM WS.

edit: I did not see you say it has a 4 speed, which I did not know they had, but it should be a U140F, and still is a WS application transmission, so the above still applies.

Last edited:
The dipstick will have the proper fluid stamped on it. I just serviced a 2016 Corolla (113K) with MaxLife; it called for WS.
You are doing the right thing; service that transmission! By the way, the MityVac did a great job of sucking the fluid outta the dipstick.

Thank you Jeff. That is music to my ears. If I can use MaxLife that would be a jackpot as I have 2 one gallon jugs in my stash. I'm so used to no trans dipstick I didn't even think of the MightyVac. This just got soooo simple.

That Rav 4 should have the U760F transmission, which requires Toyota WS.
Maxlife is a great replacement for WS fluid, as is Dex VI.
Both are fully synthetic fluids and in my opinion are better than OEM WS.

Good news keeps coming!! Thanks.

Back