Tranny Help!!! 95 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the history. I bought a used 95 Honda Accord w/ 206000 miles on it.Changed fluid w/ Maxlife Syn Dex/Merc w/ 3X drain & fills, as the tranny fluid that came out was brown but didn't smell burnt, that was 700 miles ago. 300 miles ago i added 6oz of Auto -Rx to the tranny.The tranny has shifted fine since the fluid change and Auto-Rx treatment.Today i back out of my driveway in a hurry drop it in drive, give it gas and nothing all of a sudden it goes into gear but not frist the speedo starts going crazy and the odometer no longer works!The D4 on dash was blinking! the tranny didn't want to start in 1st at a couple lights, had to manually shift it from 1st to 2nd ect. I parked the car and checked the fluid level alls fine. When restarted the D4 light on dash no longer blinks and the tranny shifts from 1st-2nd-3rd-4th w/ no problems, but the speedo & odometer no longer work!Does anybody know if the speedo & odometer work off a cable or are they electronic? Could i have striped the cable? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks

The blinking D4 indicator indicates the Transmisiion Control Module (TCM) is malfuctioning. The TCM is also known as the "transmission computer" and controls the shifting and engagement of all gears in the transmission. Hondas built in the 90's had numerous TCMs assembled with poor quality capacitors that leaked corrosive electrolyte oil onto the circuit board which caused the exact symptoms that you described. The TCM is a small metal box located on the passenger side floorboard (on early 90's Accords). Try sniffing in this area for a "fishy seafood" odor. The electrolyte oil smells like bad seafood. Rebuilt TCMs are readily available on ebay for ~$200 and can be replaced by anyone with average mechanical skills. You can search "TCM problems" in the "Honda Tech" forum for more details.

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
The blinking D4 indicator indicates the Transmisiion Control Module (TCM) is malfuctioning. The TCM is also known as the "transmission computer" and controls the shifting and engagement of all gears in the transmission. Hondas built in the 90's had numerous TCMs assembled with poor quality capacitors that leaked corrosive electrolyte oil onto the circuit board which caused the exact symptoms that you described. The TCM is a small metal box located on the passenger side floorboard (on early 90's Accords). Try sniffing in this area for a "fishy seafood" odor. The electrolyte oil smells like bad seafood. Rebuilt TCMs are readily available on ebay for ~$200 and can be replaced by anyone with average mechanical skills. You can search "TCM problems" in the "Honda Tech" forum for more details.

Checked for the strong fishy smell there is none! I am leaning more towards the VSS.Checked the Accord forums but the issues seem to be with the previous gen Accords. The D4 light is no longer flashing & tranny is shifting fine. Just the speedo & odomerter aren't working. Thank You.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: unDummy
http://autorepair.about.com/library/images/bl533a-lib.htm

Guess where I would start??

Thanks,for the link good info, i started w/ the fuse checked out OK! Can't check the wiring cause i don't have an Ohm Meter& don't know how to use one!The conector to the VSS is tight and secure! I think the issue is w/ the VSS from what i have read on the link. Could not having the signal from the VSS cause the tranny not to shift properly?

If there is a Autozone in your area, I would go and ask them to scan your onboard diagnostic computer for trouble codes. The '95 Accord has the OBD II system that will store anomaly events such as sensor malfunctions. The check engine light will not activate unless the malfunction is detected on at least two separate occasions; however, OBD II also stores "pending trouble codes" if the problem only occurs once. Autozone will provide this service for free while you wait so you have nothing to lose. If the VSS is the culprit, the code will appear in the OBD II system's memory.

Update, get in the car to move it today and i notice the speedo moved so i take a spin around the block. The speedo & odometer are now working again and the tranny is shifting fine! The only thing i did was check the connection at the VSS and clean the VSS w/ some brake parts cleaner last night.I will be taking it to the mechanic tomorrow night to get the car scanned and see if there are any codes saved.

Originally Posted By: Market525
I believe the 95 Accord will be OBD I, not OBD II. Seems to me 1996 was the start of OBD II in the majority of autos.

In 1996, OBDII was required by law.
However, some 1994 and 1995 cars used OBDII
Other times, those years had bits of OBDI and OBDII and diagnostics were tricky because of it.

Thank You! Undummy, you hit the nail on the head! Had to replace the VSS, after i borrowed my friends Ohm meter and a quick lessson on how to use it!The wiring checked out fine, and once i replaced my VSS, the speedo& odometer are working again~!
Thank You!

that exact thing happened to me---got a vss from a junkyark for abut 20 bucks and everything works fine... almost to 330K miles on my 95 accord... same trans too...just change the fluid often and you'll be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back