Tranny fluid type for Ford Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
95 Taurus 170k. I changed the fluid by taking off pan last year but I can't remember the type of fluid.

Advice or reommendations? Can I use synthetic Mobil?

Mercon is specified for your transmission. You can use synthetic Mobil (pricey) or Mercon V, which I believe is semi-synthetic and is more moderately priced.

Amsoil Mercon V fluid is excellent.
I have used it in a fair amount of vehicles ( family and friends, and mine) Has worked out very well.
I admit I admit I am biased.

Mobil 1 should work fine also.

I've put the Valvoline Mercon V fluid into several late model Ford products and they all shifted beautifully with the fresh fluid. I don't think there is any need to spend the extra bucks for Mobil-1 ATF if you are flushing at reasonable intervals, don't pull heavy loads over mountain ranges or do other such severe duty.

P.S. I'm not sure if the 1995 Taurus called for original Mercon or Mercon V. If it called for regular Mercon, then any of the good Dexron IIIH/Mercon dual rated fluids would be just the ticket.

Quote:

P.S. I'm not sure if the 1995 Taurus called for original Mercon or Mercon V. If it called for regular Mercon, then any of the good Dexron IIIH/Mercon dual rated fluids would be just the ticket.

Mercon is specified for 1995 model year.

Mercon V wasn't required until 1998 model year for Ford.

Yes I found that out after buying my 98 Taurus. I thought I could put in the regular Mercon trans fluid, but found that it needed Mercon V.

I did not use the regular non V rated Amsoil in that vehicle till they approved it for the Mercon V spec.

Ford now says Mercon V is good for all Mercon rated trannys. This is in direct conflict with what they said in the past. But they have decided to quit using the Mercon for what ever reason.

Quote:

Ford now says Mercon V is good for all Mercon rated trannys. This is in direct conflict with what they said in the past. But they have decided to quit using the Mercon for what ever reason.

I hate it when they do that!!
ooo.gif

I wouldn't really call it a conflicting decision that Ford made. They came out with a new fluid (Mercon V) for their next generation of product, and simply recommended against using it in place of the old Mercon for their old product until they could verify that it could indeed be backward compatible. Once they put the fluid through its paces, they gave the green light for backward compatibility.

Yeah, but do we KNOW that they did extensive testing on worn Mercon trannies and that Mercon V is no less dangersous long term than a regular Mercon change would be...or, is this Ford saying Mercon V is fine now since if the tranny goes out, Hey, it's old anyways, it just must have been time...btw, we can fix that for $3000 for you, or we can give you a good deal on a new car...(no don't worry about why our sales numbers are so low).

I'm a Ford guy, but, you really have to wonder sometimes...you know Corp. Ford doesn't care about us, they care about making money...I say use the Mercon, or do a half and half or something...

Chuck

really nothing wrong with the Ford recommended fluid, made for the vehicle and reasonably priced IMO. Check the owner's manual and use the recommended fluid. If it is Mercon you can still get it from the dealer until January 2007 , or until they run out of current supplies. I know my dealer just brought in a skid of it to keep on hand. That kinda tells you something doesn't it ?

The OEMs have their head so far up their (*# that I would recommend avoiding the dealer for everything possible.

That 170k tranny screams for high mileage ATF. Valvoline Maxlife or Pennzoil high mileage are 2 that I would recommend. If cost was an issue, go with supertech and maybe a quart or too of high mileage ATF for the additive package.

And, I would not invest in Mobil1 ATF. Sorry, but any synthetic ATF is too expensive to put in an unknown condition transmission.

The Mobil 1 will be fine for your Taurus.
Within the past year, Mobil 1 ATF labeling changed to state that it is for transmissions that call for Mercon and for transmissions that call for Mercon V.
I don't know if they changed the formulation, or just the labeling to reflect the latest FORD specifications.

Mobil 1 is readily available.
I have the old version of Mobil 1 (that was listed for Mercon) in my '96 Windstar, and have been very happy with it.
The change interval is every 30K miles (21K miles for severe service) for my Windstar.

The FORD TSB number is 06-14-4, that states that Mercon V now is replacing Mercon fluid.
It states to use Mercon, Mercon V or "dual usage" Mercon and Mercon V fluid in transmissions that call for Mercon....

I double checked.....This TSB lists the 1986-1997 Taurus in the long list of vehicles that are covered by this notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back