Trailering the old Chevy... possibly through the rain?

I'm just trying to plan ahead here... Planning on trailering the old Chevy, along with Dad and I, on a short trip in June.

We know that the windshield gaskets on it don't seal like they used to anymore.... and the rear window gaskets and the door seals likely aren't much better.

If we run into rain either on the way there, or on the way back... what could be done to minimize the leakage while the car is on an open trailer, being pulled through the rain?

I found on Amazon where one can buy blue painter's masking tape in rolls that are 6" wide. My first thought was using that around the edges of the windshield and rear windows... and the edges of the doors to minimize the chances of water getting in.

The other possibility would be to get a roll of plastic "crash wrap". I have an acquaintence at a body shop would would likely loan me a roll... and then let me either pay for it, or return it unused afterwards.

I'm not big on the thought of trailering it with it tarped or covered, due to rubbing on the paint.

What other options (other than an enclosed trailer) am I not thinking of here? It is looking like a roll of crash wrap is my best option at the moment.

Heh.... just noticed that I can get 'crash wrap' from Amazon.

Anyone have first-hand recommendations for which brands are better than others?

It's not like you'll be driving with the windows open or the windshield out. Unless the glass itself is loose, I don't see water getting inside in any significant amount due to rain, and if it does, you can let it dry out after you get back. Or place some towels on top of the dash by the windshield to absorb it.

I’d put some painters tape on it and then crash wrap over the top of that if you really want to make sure it stays dry.

The collision wrap sounds good. Maybe the stuff they shrink wrap boats in for the winter.

Back