Trailer tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is in the wrong place, please delete.

I'm in the market for new tires for my tandem axle boat trailer, ST175/80/13, load range C. The trailer originally came with the Goodyear Marathons which lasted a long time. I replaced with LoadStar Karrier radials when the Goodyear's became dry-rotted. The LoadStars have been an incredible tire but are now 7 years old and showing cracking on the sidewalls.

My boat is a 23' aluminum fishing boat which weighs around 3200 pounds fully loaded with gas and all gear. I tow it roughly 300 miles in the spring to upstate NY, 300 miles back home in the fall, and about 200 miles during the season, as the boat launch is approximately 7 miles from the house. So, under 1000 miles a year. I went with the Karrier radials for their heat dispersion abilities and the smoother ride. I've noticed the sidewalls are soft, which does allow the trailer to sway slightly, but they've lasted and I have no complaints. I've read that bias-ply tires have a stiffer sidewall and help with the sway, but they aren't great on long trips and don't handle the heat like the radials do. I'm not sure if my 300 miles constitutes as a long trip, but what's everyone's feelings between radial and bias-ply for my situation? The trailer is rated at 5800lbs. The marine superstore I get all my equipment at has the LoadStars in both radial and bias-ply, as well as TowMax radials and bias-ply. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
How old is your trailer to be on a 3rd set of trailers?

I upped the load range of my tires to D for my boat trailer. I think they are bias-ply.

A higher load rating would probably help more than a decision of radial or bias-ply.

Will 14" wheels fit in the fenderwell?

If so, that opens up your options a lot more.

Get the highest load rating you can afford!!!

I wish the 14's would fit, but sadly, no. I don't think a 185/80/13 would fit either. The Karrier radial and the K550 bias are made in a load range D. I'll see if they're in stock at the warehouse.

I have run maxxis 8008's in 13 inch on my dual axle 23ft hybrid travel trailer. No room for 14's either. I keep the air pressure at 48lbs and i balanced them. I have had zero issues i'm on my second set. The first set aged out.

Last edited:
7 years is a long time for trailer tires to last. Sounds like most any brand will work for you. I'd look at the made in USA Goodyears.

I ended up getting the Load Star Karrier radials in load range D, a step up from my last set which were C's. Great looking trailer tire with a nice highway tread. Figured they've done me well the last 7 years, stick with what works, just go up in load range. Thanks for all the replies!

Originally Posted By: Thunderbolt
I ended up getting the Load Star Karrier radials in load range D, a step up from my last set which were C's. Great looking trailer tire with a nice highway tread. Figured they've done me well the last 7 years, stick with what works, just go up in load range. Thanks for all the replies!
Don't forget, that also means a step up in tire pressure too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back