Trailer tire question

I am looking to get a spare tire and rim for my EZ Loader boat trailer. Are all rims the same bolt pattern for this application?

misread the question.

usually if you get a "trailer" rim that has the same width, diameter, and number of holes (for studs) the bolt pattern should be the same.
I'd still measure.

Last edited:
You could get a tire & rim and spare tire carrier from EZ Loader.

You need the same number of bolt holes, and same tire & load size as the current tires.

Get a good rim, galvanized or aluminum. Forget the painted white rim.

My boat weighs 4,200 lbs. not to include the dual axle trailer. Tractor Supply had wheel and radial tire combo rated for 1,960 lbs. Personally I wouldn’t want a bias ply tire to depend on at 70 mph.

Try Eastern Marine, they sell pre-mounted tires on galvanized rims. You will have either a 5 lug 5 on 4.5" pattern, or the 6 lug 6 on 5.5" pattern, these are the most common, though there are other sizes, measure first.
As far as bias vs radial, well, I'd take a good bias tire over a cheap radial, when radial tires fail the steel belts can cause a lot of damage. Bias are good for lower speeds, rough unimproved boat ramps, they have thicker sidewalls than radials. If you do a lot of high speed driving then yes radials are better because they don't heat up as much as bias tires but do not buy cheap ones, the only ones I'd buy now are Goodyear Endurance made in USA.

I am looking to get a spare tire and rim for my EZ Loader boat trailer. Are all rims the same bolt pattern for this application?
You're gonna want a galvanized wheel. I have 3 EZ load trailers and they all have 5x4.5 bolt patters...but not sure every trailer they ever made was like that

Try Eastern Marine, they sell pre-mounted tires on galvanized rims. You will have either a 5 lug 5 on 4.5" pattern, or the 6 lug 6 on 5.5" pattern, these are the most common, though there are other sizes, measure first.
As far as bias vs radial, well, I'd take a good bias tire over a cheap radial, when radial tires fail the steel belts can cause a lot of damage. Bias are good for lower speeds, rough unimproved boat ramps, they have thicker sidewalls than radials. If you do a lot of high speed driving then yes radials are better because they don't heat up as much as bias tires but do not buy cheap ones, the only ones I'd buy now are Goodyear Endurance made in USA.
Unfortunately there are pretty much zero radials sold in 4.8/4.00-r8, ended up with the ecotrail ST bias plys premounted on Amazon. They seem pretty decent however and I got ones rated for 81mph. The Carlisle ones I saw in that size were only rated for 62mph or something like that. Make sure you pay attention to the speed rating, lots of trailer tires are only rated for 60ish mph.

Academy Sporting Goods used to sell trailer tires and wheels. If you have one of them in your area it might be worth a look.

Unfortunately there are pretty much zero radials sold in 4.8/4.00-r8, ended up with the ecotrail ST bias plys premounted on Amazon. They seem pretty decent however and I got ones rated for 81mph. The Carlisle ones I saw in that size were only rated for 62mph or something like that. Make sure you pay attention to the speed rating, lots of trailer tires are only rated for 60ish mph.
How fast do you plan on going towing your boat? It's not a race.

How fast do you plan on going towing your boat? It's not a race.
Normal highway speeds? Jetskis aren't very heavy, I'm looking at a combined weight of the trailer and pwc of about 1000lb fully loaded with gas etc. Being able to do 70-75 without worrying about tires exploding would be nice

Normal highway speeds? Jetskis aren't very heavy, I'm looking at a combined weight of the trailer and pwc of about 1000lb fully loaded with gas etc. Being able to do 70-75 without worrying about tires exploding would be nice
I usually look for higher load rated tires when shopping the the small ones. I agree, out on the highway 70-75 mph is not out of the norm.
I prefer D or E load range tires. They are out there, just takes some looking. I bubble balance my small trailer tires also. Balancing them and higher load rated stopped my winter ''fun'' of flats on my snowmobile trailer on the side of the road. No issues with the Sea Doo trailer either.
Since I started balancing my tires, they either get worn out or replaced due to age/cracking. Same with my 14 and 15'' trailer tires.

I would just order it online. Just replaced my 15 (gulp) year old trailer tires 2 weeks ago. Many videos online to measure the bolt pattern.
Though its pretty much standard and I suspect since your trailer is well known, like mine was, it will be a standard 5 bolt pattern.

I bought the tires mounted on the rims, since the cost was almost the same this spared me of having to have them mounted, will just trow out one of the old ones and save one for a spare.

I bought them through Walmart, free shipping and free returns, you need to be careful and make sure you order from Walmart because there are 7 other sellers on their site that sell them for more money. Its a well known tire brand and I think/certain its a website mistake, they are selling the cheaper tire for more money and the more expensive radial tire for less.
I know this, because I compared the two on other websites. Paid $140 delivered for each tire, tires and galvanized rims, mounted and inflated, as a back up, if the bolt pattern was wrong, all I had to do was return them to Walmart store.

I was very happy with the whole process, put them on the trailer and no longer have to say "hail marys" when doing to the boat ramp worrying about a tire failure *LOL*
(ohhh and now I see this is an older thread, well maybe it will help someone else out, at the price this was a no brainier for me)

Walmart online order - click

IMG_9189.jpeg

Last edited:
Back