Trailer hub paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
This really isn't a boat lubrication question but I didn't know where else to put it.

I'm replacing the hubs on my boat trailer that will see constant saltwater use, and I was wondering if there is some kind of paint I could put on them to help with corrosion? The only options on the hubs are painted or galvanized. I got the painted ones, but it just looks like primer. Also, the studs always get extremely rusted and getting the old wheels ones off included breaking most of the studs.

What do you guys recommend? I just want the best for my new hubs. Thanks!

Slather anti-seize or marine grease on the studs, put a thin coat on the face of the hub where it touches the wheel and a bead around the inside of the center hole of the wheel.

I would paint the hubs with a metal paint and keep up on it. One is not suppose to grease wheel studs. But many people do. I would use a marine grease rather than anti-seeze. More waterproof. Mercruiser 101 is the most water proof grease around. Its used on propeller shafts.

I might have sprung for galvanized.

Do you rinse off the trailer after a dunk in salt water?

How did the old studs break. PB Blaster and an impact wrench is less likely to break them than a 3' pipe on a breaker bar.

agree with anti-seize on the wheel studs, if there a standard 1/2" size that gets torqued to 100 lb-ft dry then only tighten them to 80 lb-ft.

see if you can find chassis saver paint at an auto-body paint store. it's made by magnet paints. i painted the chassis of my truck with the stuff and it's awesome. if you get the hubs painted when they're new and clean the chassis saver will never come off. otherwise i would go with self-etch primer followed by rustoleum and fresh water rinse after salt water use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back