Trade Up...Or Shut Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kawasaki 900 cruiser.

The seat sucks but ya can change that.

Low-slung and plenty of power. You can even get the "touring" model with windshield and bags for a grand more.

Feels much lighter than the 950 Yamaha Star.

You should throw a leg over one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: eddy21
Why don't you try a standard riding position Bike. The crusier bikes are not a comfortable riding position for distance.

I did 1,000 miles in 24 hours on a 95 Harley FXDL with forward controls on it without much of an issue. If you have a good seat and proper equipment on a well set up bike, it can be done. But like all things the rider needs to match the bike. I can't do that much on my Speedmaster. About 500 and im pretty darn beat up, but I also dont have a windshield or a special seat.

thumbsup2.gif
My mom's husband has an FLSTC Heritage Softail. It may well be a very nice bike on a long trip but not for me individually. Five minutes and I'm squirming to get comfortable. I just don't like my feet in front of me on a bike. It feels unnatural. But that Softy has been to Missouri from here. No problem for him. Likewise, I road my 400 4 cyl to Galveston. No problem for me. It's all about what you like and find comfortable.

I can't do the feet out legs spread riding position either. It is uncomfortable and you have less control, I can't weight the pegs on something like that.

Found what seems to be the bike for me (for now).

2012 Ninja 250. Riding position great on back. Almost vertical seating position(slight lean forward). Plenty of power for the kind of riding I want to do.

It came down between the Ninja and Honda's CBR 250. Both great bikes, the extra cylinder for the hwy sold me on the Kawasaki.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
I sat on but haven't ridden a Ducati Multistrada 600 that was pretty comfortable too, in the end though I wanted to try out a scooter after my two cruisers I've owned. If I ever do get another motorcycle it will more than likely be a standard. I am not a fan of the cruisers after riding them for 5 years.

Did you buy it? I was about to suggest that you try a HD Sportster 1200. The Nightster has mid controls weighs about 500lbs, and has PLENTY of power. The only thing I would suggest is that you get the comfort ride shocks (or whatever HD calls them). Harley also has a pretty amazing array of seats available for it, and there are other makers as well.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: eddy21
Why don't you try a standard riding position Bike. The crusier bikes are not a comfortable riding position for distance.

I did 1,000 miles in 24 hours on a 95 Harley FXDL with forward controls on it without much of an issue. If you have a good seat and proper equipment on a well set up bike, it can be done. But like all things the rider needs to match the bike. I can't do that much on my Speedmaster. About 500 and im pretty darn beat up, but I also dont have a windshield or a special seat.

I agree, I did the same miles on my Softail Duece and my wife on her lowrider (FXDLi) and we were both comfortable the whole time.

Originally Posted By: Sillicon
Did you buy it? I was about to suggest that you try a HD Sportster 1200. The Nightster has mid controls weighs about 500lbs, and has PLENTY of power. The only thing I would suggest is that you get the comfort ride shocks (or whatever HD calls them). Harley also has a pretty amazing array of seats available for it, and there are other makers as well.

Having dcne the Sportster route, I always recommend people skip them for a big twin. A used big twin is a better deal than a new Sportster if the prices are the same. The Sportster is a GREAT bike for sure, but once you ride a lowrider, softail or other big twin you won't want to go back. A Dyna Lowrider is EASIER to handle than a SPortster. My wife dropped her Sporty a couple times due to it being somewhat high centered. We then got her a Dyna Lowrider and she has never dropped it and can whip it around like a pro.

Last edited:
Motorcycle of the Century: 1969 Honda CB750

MOTY from Motorcyclist magazine is the 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Their BE$T BANG FOR THE BUCK is the Kawasaki Ninja 650 @ $7495. If you are really interested in a standard, comfortable & reasonably-priced (IMHO) NEW motorcycle this would certainly deserve a test ride...

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
Bought a 2011 VStar 250 last August. Love the bike. Zero probs in 3350 miles. 85 mpg 45 mph and under, 79 on interstate.

Here's my question. When I bought the 250, my riding needs were mostly town and 45 mph, sometimes 60 mph 2 lane. Now my kids have moved further away, and to be honest, the 250 ain't no interstate bike.

Having back probs, I can't handle a really big bike. Would something like a Honda Shadow/Star 650 add enough weight to not get you blown all over creation on the interstate at 70 mph? I know something bigger would be better, but I wonder about my ability to maneuver when I'm at lower speeds in panic situations with much over 500lbs.

if comfort and back problems are your issue, there is no better stance than on the BMW boxer bikes... R1200R like mine, or if you want more of a tourer the R1200RT.... they are ridiculously comfortable and the engineering is top tier.

I rode everything from Harley, Triumph, Ducati, Aprilia, Motoguzzi and a few Japanese bikes and this thing just rode like a gyroscope and sang like a sewing machine.... The pentalever/Telelever suspension is amazing, especially in turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back