Track day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did my first track day. It will not be my last.

Dude running it did something different this year: a "non-sportbike" track day. Had the only scoot there...had fun. There were all sorts of bikes...couple dual-sports, two old (80's) BMW boxers, a bunch of Harleys, at least two full-dress Goldwings, about a dozen Kawasaki Concours 1400's, a BMW R1200GS, several Honda Shadows, two V-star 650's (incredibly, both white with tan saddlebags), an 1800 Indian, several Victorys, three Triumphs, and a Suzuki Gladius with neon-pink wheels and chain.

Lots of fun, learned a lot. Not surprisingly, the Burg was WAY underpowered compared to all the others...a couple times, an instructor signaled me to pass him/her, and I flat-out COULDN'T, I just didn't have the power...first time I wished (at least a little) that I had a 650.
frown.gif
Discovered that rolling on power from ~35MPH, Liz's Hyosung Comet will leave me behind. Also discovered that at high speed, hers really DOES sound like a wound-out dirt bike.

Then I loaded the Burg into my Dakota, and was really happy I didn't have another 100lbs of bike to wrestle. (And note to self, need a second ramp.)

Sounds like fun!
Some friends keep encouraging me to take my Triumph to a track day, but right now I'm sticking with cages on the road course...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to look into this.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Then I loaded the Burg into my Dakota, and was really happy I didn't have another 100lbs of bike to wrestle. (And note to self, need a second ramp.)

How much does your Burgman weigh?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to look into this.

How much does your Burgman weigh?

I've had several; they're about 400-450lb.

I'm planning my first track day for next year; don't have full leathers at the moment. At either NC bike or road Atlanta.

Good to hear you had a great time on your first track day.

If you aren't making a regular habit of it, maybe look into renting a track suit? For the non-sportbike day, I was able to wear street gear (textile jacket & pants, FF lid, gauntlet gloves, boots). Good thing, because the rental track suits didn't fit me (their biggest was really a size too small), and near as I can tell, MC boots in my size (11EEE) simply don't exist.

Liz also wore her street gear, though hers is leather rather than textile.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
That is how the addiction starts, my bank account has never been the same since I started track daying.

Yep, I'm already hooked on track days for cars, I don't really need another monkey on my back- fun as it may be.

That is how the addiction starts, my bank account has never been the same since I started track daying.

Nope. I plan to do the "non-sportbike" day every year, that's all. I physically CANNOT ride a sportbike at all...can't ride most motorcycles anything close to comfortably, and flatly refuse to drop $1000+ on track gear.

Deano

the addiction starts with 2 wheels.

the insanity starts when you go to a track/race day!

Nope. I plan to do the "non-sportbike" day every year, that's all. I physically CANNOT ride a sportbike at all...can't ride most motorcycles anything close to comfortably, and flatly refuse to drop $1000+ on track gear.

I'm sorry to hear that. My sister has artificial knees, and a fused spine from L2-L4. She manages to ride a variety of bikes, but is most comfortable on her R1200RT.

As for riding boots for wide feet, I've been told by several people in the industry, that the "Daytona Road Star" and "Daytona Road Star GTX" boots in wide widths, work for EEE width feet.

I tried on at least eight different boots...don't remember the brands, there were many. None fit.

My problem is getting a leg over the bike...even the little Nighthawks at the MSF class were a struggle. Did it a couple times on my wife's Hyosung Comet, needed help getting off both times. (Admittedly, the Comet has a pretty high seat.) Rode a sportbike once...managed maybe 1/2 mile, and my back was in such agony I honestly thought I'd have to call someone to come get it. (Liz had to drive home.)

Also...honestly, after riding a Helix and a Burgman, ANY regular motorcycle feels ungainly and top-heavy. Not to mention: a bike as capable as my Burgman would probably be a 700+lb beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back