TR-3650 fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay all, changing the MTF in my 2003 Mustang GT today, it is equipped with a Tremec TR-3650 5 Speed manual trans. Looking around online, I have found about 200 different ideas of what fluid is best to use in it, as both Ford and Tremec seem to have made different recommendations. I have narrowed it down (I think) to using either Pennzoil/GM Synchromesh, or Mobil 1 ATF, although I've also read that synthetic lubricants in this application are not good fot it. Anyone with experience with this transmission, please chime in! Thanks!

Last edited:
When I changed the clutch out in my 03, for a bad TOB, I changed the fluid to M1 ATF, works great. Much smoother shifts! I think the manual calls for ATF? It holds 3.2 quarts, I believe.

on my 02 Mustang GT I changed the factory fluid at 4K miles with Amsoil ATF (3 quarts and 28 ounces came out and I put in 3 quarts 6 ounces per TSB). Ive also installed a TRI AX shifter at the same time. occasionally I will a get a notchy shift ( more like a very dull grind) from 1st to 2nd only on really cold mornings until the trans warms up, It doesn't bother me much since I hardly start on 1st gear since I got my 4.10 gearing. overall I'm satisfied with the way it shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back