Toyota Yaris Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the search function and found a lot of information about the color of the antifreeze, but not much specific about the Toyota Requirements.

So I Emailed Prestone

Me
To [email protected]
Aug 7 at 6:51 PM
Sir
I have a 2010 Toyota Yaris with the 1.5 liter motor. I feel that it is time to replace the coolant. Which coolant should I use? Toyota requires a high quality ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and non-borate, long life coolant. Does the Prestone 50/50 Ready-To-Use Prediluted Extended Life meet Toyotas requirement?

Thank You For Your Valuable Time
Bill

Their Response

Good Afternoon Bill,

Yes, the Prestone 50/50 Prediluted Ready-to-Use Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant meets all the requirements described below and is exactly what we would recommend for use in your Yaris. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Aaron Jones
Prestone Consumer Relations Representative
Phone: 203-731-8191

I didn't ask what color it was.

What mileage is on the car?

Stick with the Toyota long life coolant. Some of the newer Toyota's use the Pink coolant, while the older ones use the Red coolant. I would check with your local Toyota Dealer.

Regards, JC.

Go to your local Toyota dealer and get the stuff they have for that vehicle. That way you do not mix chemicals and ruin some part of your cooling system. That may cost a whole lot more that the OEM coolant.

I don't think the Prestone has the phospates in the OEM coolant, i could be wrong. I would stick with OEM 50/50 on a car that is certainly capable of outliving its cooling system.

If memory serves, Prestone all-makes-all-models coolant is G05 equivalent, which comes w/o phosphates that H-OAT (hybrid OAT) type that Toyota requires for it's automobiles.

I'd rather pay a bit more and get the Toyota pink (HOAT, long-life) instead.

Afterall: Toy pink is known to be good for 10 years from the time it got off of the factory; each drain-n-fill with Toy LL pink is good for 5 yrs of service thereafter.

(*I'm currently using HOAT premix on all the Hondas and Toys I serviced.*)

Q.

Yep I would stick with the Toyota Pink fluid. You should be able to see what color it is. To be quite honest, it doesnt cost that much more to buy the Toyota Coolant, so why not just use that? Although I am sure the Prestone would work just fine.

First, color is a very unreliable indicator of AF chemistry. To quote the SAE article linked below, "the dye color of antifreeze has nothing to do with antifreeze formula or performance." So I'd eliminate that as a consideration.

Second, Prestone AM/M is what's known as a Dexclone, very similar chemistry to proprietary Dexcool and it contains 2eha as primary inhibitor. Also according to the linked SAE article regarding 2eha, it "is a cost-effective but controversial additive that softens plastics, particularly silicone, leading to leaks from affected sealing materials, which means that silicone cannot be used in gaskets, O-rings, and hoses if the antifreeze contains 2-EHA."

Your Yaris specs an Asian P-HOAT which does not contain 2eha, the Asian AF's avoid that inhibitor. The current Toyota AF is SLL pink pre mix. If you're doing a simple radiator d&f that is likely your safest and best choice. There are some aftermarket Asian AF alternatives not containing 2eha, like Zerex Asian Formula and some others mentioned in this thread. But, without more in depth explanation Toyota SLL pink is the safe choice.

http://articles.sae.org/11284/

Adding another brand that i just saw at the local autopart store:

http://www.pentosin.net/f_antifreeze.asp

2eha fear scare is an overhyped internet bogus fear scare.

The color is also the name that some brands use.

What toyota recommends is not a requirement. As such, I'll still recommend AMAM Prestone as an option.

I would not use anything but the OEM coolant in a Toyota cooling system. Jut spend the 18 bucks, you seriously only need to do a drain and fill a few times over the life of this engine. The coolant is that good.

Being a 2010 Yaris, it probably came with Toyota Super Long Life (SLL). Stick with that, and you can do a drain and fill with the premix (only way it comes) per Toyota's recommendation.

If you want to change, there are others that are said to be, for the most part, the same formula (with insignificant variations, and different dyes): Honda, Nissan, Subaru, Mazda, Ford Specialty Green.

One nice thing about the Ford Specialty Green is it is the only one available as a concentrate.

My van uses SLL, and I have not found a compelling reason from a cost perspective to use one of the other said-to-be compatible alternatives I listed.

There is also Zerex Asian, but about as easy to find as the Loch Ness Monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back