Toyota WS - Valvoline MVI Syn OK as replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All right, my wife has a '12 Scion xB. Manual calls for Toyota WS fluid. She has just hit 30,000 miles and the fluid is starting to look a little dark, so I was wanting to do a drain and fill on the transmission.

For some reason I thought it required Toyota Type IV, so I bought 2 jugs of Valvoline Multi Vehicle Import Synthetic on sale quite a while back. The Valvoline does not say anything about WS or JWS 3324, only type T, III and IV.
Thing is, many say the MVI is almost the same as Maxlife ATF, which is WS compatible.

Is it safe to use the Valvoline MVI in a WS application? Searched on here some and online, but did not see anything specific for this question.
I do have 1 jug of Maxlife ATF (using it in my '02 F150), so I could use that, but then what to do with the MVI jugs? I don't remember where I got them so I can't return them. I guess I could exchange them for some Maxlife at any parts store?
Is the MVI safe for Merc V applications (again, the PDF only says Ford Mercon applications).

The Valvoline IMV is slightly thicker than the Maxlife (7.0 vs. 6.0 approx. at 100*C)....otherwise they are probably very similar.....I'd use Maxlife if it calls for WS and use the IMV in place of Mercon V in the Ford.

I will probably just do that.
I actually went to Advance to see if I could swap it (online it shows the MVI and Maxlife to be the same price). I go to the store, they scan the MVI and shows it as $8.25 per jug? They don't have any in stock in store, so I guess they had clearanced it.
Neither Auto Zone nor O'Reilly Auto carry it at all.

Works out fine though, the truck gets a drain and fill every 10,000-15,000 miles (4 qts). The car I will do every 30,000 miles.

The Autozones around here have gallon jugs of Maxlife for about $20/each. Walmart has them for slightly less in most all stores.

Maxlife is an excellent upgrade from WS in all the Toyota transmissions I have used it in (~five).

Went and tried another Advance Auto (showed to have the MVI in stock online for $24). I get there and he scans it, $4. The guy can't believe it. He was like "thats not right, this stuff is at least $20 for the jug".
I told him the website shows he has some in stock for $24, but his computer says he does not. He goes in back and checks, none there. He pulls up the site on his phone and sure enough, it shows it in stock, he even ordered 2 jugs and it went through (for the $24 price).
He asks me "you just want to swap this for Maxlife ATF?" and I say yes. He says "just go grab 2 jugs, I don't know what is going on."
This store has always been better to deal with than the other one, but is a little further, but I think they will be my go-to Advance Auto.
Since he was kind enough to do this for me, I bought 5 qts of Castrol Merc V too (on sale for $4/qt but marked $9 on the shelf).
So I am now set for my next 4 transmission drains.

For what it's worth, I've used Mobil 1 ATF in the transmission I have that calls for Toyota WS (2009 RAV4). Although not specifically approved for WS, and no longer listed by Mobil for T-IV (it used to be on the bottle), I now have 120,000+ miles and no transmission issues. I replaced initially at 15k, and then 30k, 60k, and 90k, and again recently, with a simple drain and fill each time. You probably wouldn't have any issues from using the Valvoline MVI, either.

Last edited:
I actually just did a drain and fill on the xB today when I changed the oil. I used the Maxlife ATF I was able to swap. Probably did not need it at 30,000 relatively easy miles, but I plan on keeping this thing a long time (wife drives it now, will probably be my daughters first car in 4 years or so).
The fluid was a little dark, but I have read that WS ATF is a little darker than most.
For ~$15 and 10 minutes, not bad for peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I will probably just do that.
I actually went to Advance to see if I could swap it (online it shows the MVI and Maxlife to be the same price). I go to the store, they scan the MVI and shows it as $8.25 per jug? They don't have any in stock in store, so I guess they had clearanced it.
Neither Auto Zone nor O'Reilly Auto carry it at all.

Works out fine though, the truck gets a drain and fill every 10,000-15,000 miles (4 qts). The car I will do every 30,000 miles.

They should be able to order some jugs for you. Bought 3 jugs this way last week at $8.25 a gallon.

* I assumed it was an issue at my local small town store or else I would have shared. Sorry guys! Love you all long time.

Last edited:
There is a post on a 4Runner board from a fellow, who changed Ws at 400k miles for the first time due to TC replacement. He has 800k on this second fill now. Every now and then you come across blanket statements about WS being inferior or mediocre at best with no data at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back