Toyota Valve clearances - Tipping or replace shims ?

I pulled the aluminum head off of the daughters old Camry (5sfe, 4 cylinder) and may have to purchase a reman. head because of some pitting I can see from one water jacket that extends close to the fire ring. However, first I'll take it to a local machine shop and see what they recommend.

If I go local I will not be getting a full valve job but asked about setting the clearances and he said he would tip the valves as needed.

I know this engine has shims and buckets so I thought the correct method was to replaced a shim if the clearances go out of spec.

Tipping a valve is probably cheaper but should one be concerned about removing any hardened coating on the stem that might expose the non-hardened metal; which might make premature wear? Perhaps that isn't a concern unless they are removing more than a few thousands but I don't know.

Anyone that knows more about this subject I'd like to learn if I need to be concerned if the valves are being tipped.

Imo tipping the stems to open up the clearance is better than replacing the shims. To replace shims you must measure every clearance then go order the correct replacement shims from Toyota.major PITA to do.
Last time we screwed around with shims we surfaced the shim on a lathe.
Last time I checked new shims were $12 ea too.

How is a valve 'tipped'? Fit and try?
You machine part of the top of the valve to make up the amount needed with a different size shim. You would usually do it slightly when doing a valve job to make up for any material taken off the face of the valve. It has been probably 16-17 years since I have done it though, but that is what I remember.

Last time I checked a set of Toyota valve clearances, no adjustment was needed.

Why not check your clearances first, and go from there?

You may not need any. You may need only one or two.

I did have to adjust two valves on my 4 Runner, at 270,000 miles. I changed out the shims. Not a hard job with proper tools and not expensive. N.B. That the valves measured OK at 90,000 miles and again at 180,000 miles.

Thank you BDCardinal and Chris 142 I was interested in the process. Astro14, Thanks for wear stats. I don't see myself ever needing a valve job on either of the Camrys. In the 22yrs I owned 528es with between 200k and 300k, I did 1 adjustment @ 300K , simply because I was tired of the noisy tappets. Never had a head off either. :cool:

Last edited:
Last time I checked a set of Toyota valve clearances, no adjustment was needed.

Why not check your clearances first, and go from there?

You may not need any. You may need only one or two.

I did have to adjust two valves on my 4 Runner, at 270,000 miles. I changed out the shims. Not a hard job with proper tools and not expensive. N.B. That the valves measured OK at 90,000 miles and again at 180,000 miles.
I have seen the valves recess in the seats slightly which holds the valve open a little. Dead miss on that hole.
Years ago I pulled some 3.0 Toyota heads and took them to be rebuilt. The shop ground the valves and seats but did not check the adjustment.

He said they were ready to go so I put it back together. Thing would not start as every valve was held open. I had to tear it back apart.

We machined the shims to get the proper clearance

Back