Toyota to recall Lexus GX 460

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota to recall Lexus GX 460
April 19th, 2010, 12:08 pm ·
posted by Matt Degen

Toyota Motor Corp. has issued yet another recall today, this one for the Lexus GX 460 due to concerns that it can roll over during emergency maneuvers. Lexus is the luxury division of Toyota.

The recall comes about a week after Consumer Reports issued a rare “Don’t Buy” warning about the luxury SUV. Hours later, Toyota told dealers to stop selling the vehicle, and has since halted production.

The automaker said it will recall 9,400 of the vehicles in all to update the software that controls the vehicle’s stability control (VSC) system.

“Our engineers have conducted tests to confirm the VSC performance issue raised by Consumer Reports, and we are confident this VSC software update addresses the concern,” said Steve St. Angelo, Toyota’s chief quality officer for North America.

Dealers are expected to have the software update by the end of this month, Toyota said.

“Vehicle owners are encouraged to bring their 2010 GX 460 to a dealer at their earliest convenience for the update at no cost,” the automaker said.
The update should take approximately one hour depending on the dealers’ work schedule.”

If you own one of these vehicles, you can expect an official recall letter starting in early May. Lexus said it will also provide a courtesy vehicle to any Lexus GX 460 owner who is concerned about driving his or her vehicle until it is repaired.

Lexus has a hot line set up at 800-255-3987 or online at lexus.com/recall.

The vehicle, which is “related” to the Toyota 4Runner, according to Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons, is relatively new the market.

The popular 4Runner has not experienced the issue facing the 2010 GX 460, which slid out of control when Consumer Reports tested the vehicle for emergency handling. Toyota later replicated the results in its own test.

The recall is the latest blow to Toyota, which has recalled millions of its cars worldwide over issues such as unintended acceleration, braking, and most recently on Friday — corrosion that can cause the spare tire to fall off.

The news also comes just hours after Toyota agreed to pay a $16.4 million settlement with the U.S. government for failing to properly notify U.S. officials about defects in its accelerator pedals.

"The recall is the latest blow to Toyota, which has recalled millions of its cars worldwide over issues such as unintended acceleration, braking, and most recently on Friday — corrosion that can cause the spare tire to fall off."

Glad to know this information came to light, although it was a source other than the manufacturer...

Originally Posted By: defektes
Yet another problem with a computer controlled component. I'll keep my old vehicles, thank you.

The other automakers seem to get it right.

I had no problems with my Saab 93. But then, the Saab 93 comes from the same country as the guy who invented Linux, so maybe they know how to do software?

I find it interesting that they can identify the problem, reengineer the software, properly test it out -- all within a week!

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I find it interesting that they can identify the problem, reengineer the software, properly test it out -- all within a week!
I doubt it's a complete "reengineering" of the software. Given the timeframes involved, I'd surmise that they simply tweaked some of the values used in the calculations that make the system work. That shouldn't be all that difficult.
===================================================

Originally Posted By: ps49556n
Funny how quick they NOW are to recall vehicles...
Is it? As an owner myself, I'm glad that they're moving without hesitation at this point. Perhaps they've actually learned from their previous mistakes. That would be more than could be said for some other car makers... I hope they ALL take something from Toyota's recent misadventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back