Toyota sealed transmission change based on fluid weight?

If the drain plug is towards the rear of the pain, raise up the front and let is sit overnight. On all my Toys I get about
1 extra quart out over what they say should come out.

For example, books says 2 qts should drain out. I get 3-3.5 qts when I drain it cold and let it drain overnight.

I get 5 qts out of my 4Runner.

You can refill based on volume drained if both the trans and replacement fluid are at the same temperature. But that is based on the assumption that the trans was properly filled at the factory, or at a prior service and it hasnt lost any since. Personally I would check the level after filling.

Paco

You can refill based on volume drained if both the trans and replacement fluid are at the same temperature. But that is based on the assumption that the trans was properly filled at the factory, or at a prior service and it hasnt lost any since. Personally I would check the level after filling.

Paco
Agreed. I have a cheapo infrared temperature gun that I point at the pan to set the dribble. Only takes a minute.
The hardest part is lifting the vehicle.
If you do it right, then you know.

JeffKeryk, did you mean to say “leveling” instead of “lifting”? For me, getting my cars level is the biggest pain. LOL

JeffKeryk, did you mean to say “leveling” instead of “lifting”? For me, getting my cars level is the biggest pain. LOL
Basically, yes. Truth be told, I did not do a rigorous job of leveling. Close, but certainly no cigar... So maybe lifting is the better word. All good. The car did feel better. I will service the trans at next oil change and call it good. I think the straw method to set level is lame. The top of the fluid is the top of the fluid. Gimmie a dipstick. And if you need the transmission fluid temperature, put it on a menu display item. Sheesh.

Basically, yes. Truth be told, I did not do a rigorous job of leveling. Close, but certainly no cigar... So maybe lifting is the better word. All good. The car did feel better. I will service the trans at next oil change and call it good. I think the straw method to set level is lame. The top of the fluid is the top of the fluid. Gimmie a dipstick. And if you need the transmission fluid temperature, put it on a menu display item. Sheesh.
Go on a spring for a ATF Temp Scan Tool. I tried the infrared gun and it was too variable depending on where I shot the beam. When I compared it to the Scan Tool temp, the infrared was usually a lot lower. Now, I must admit, I only tried it on the GX470 and the LS400.

Heck, I lay the level on the door sill plates and spend more time than necessary getting the cars level. I have 2 floor jacks. SUV has enough room under it.

Go on a spring for a ATF Temp Scan Tool. I tried the infrared gun and it was too variable depending on where I shot the beam. When I compared it to the Scan Tool temp, the infrared was usually a lot lower. Now, I must admit, I only tried it on the GX470 and the LS400.

Heck, I lay the level on the door sill plates and spend more time than necessary getting the cars level. I have 2 floor jacks. SUV has enough room under it.
I figured the infrared gun would be on the low end, so I set the fluid at 35*C; the range is 35* to 40*C, I believe.
I feel confident the level is within specs.

I think I can just use the OBD II dongle and an app temp guage on my cell phone as well.
I need to do our GS350 next. More involved due to belly pan and fill plug is harder access. Plus it is pig heavy compared to the Corolla feather weight.

Do you have a recommendation for a Scan Tool? Thanks in advance!

This is mine. Works fine. Not saying it is the best. ScanGuage II

I just use it for ATF temp.

Attachments

• D38F07E8-FC96-458D-8695-72FA6A527285.jpeg
    D38F07E8-FC96-458D-8695-72FA6A527285.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 4
Took our Rav 4 to my mechanic and had a "drain and fill", done on the no dipstick
transmission. Measured the amount drained and put new fluid of the same amount
back in. Can't do it myself no garage and, too mush slush and ice to roll around in.
Fluid drained was kinda dark but, still very clear.

I’ve done it successfully many times on the gen1 tundra just by doing it by volume with the car cold at 80F. Whatever comes out is 80F, whatever went back in was the same. I did it 3 or 4 times on that truck. I’ll bet I wasn’t perfectly accurate. Also added a spin-on ATF filter and associated plumbing. Guessed at the additional volume. Drove for years, with heavy towing. Was too scared to try the little plug on the bottom.

Bought the lexus (well used) and thought I might as well learn. Screwed it up the first time and obviously didn’t put enough back in. It’s not that the overflow straw stops draining, it’s more that the overflow straw slows draining to just the right stream. Goodness how imprecise is that? And that trans starts to warm pretty quickly during that procedure, as it drains, while the engine is warming it up with hot coolant. So the first time I tried the straw, i waited until it was just a drip. When that slipped and you could hear gurgling on hard take-off, I refilled it and drained it and then capped when when the bulk of the draining seemed to slow and it was more of a casually thin stream.” its been fine since then.

Doing similar on the F150 after the dealer couldn’t (wouldn’t) do anything else to investigate drops to Neutral when missing 3rd gear up shifts, I finally decided to swap some fluid. It was a couple of quarts low from the factory. (That didn’t fix it, but the observation was noted).

I’m not entirely sure these things are nearly as picky as DIY Middle Earth makes them out to be.

-m

Back