Toyota RAV Manual Trans Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2WD 1996 Toyota RAV4, (don't feel sorry for me, it's the wife's car) and have decided at 100k miles it's time to change the transaxle fluid. Past time, in fact. I've tried to be a good boy and use the search function and have come upon a lot of info on the site that suggests a GL-4 spec'd oil for a transmission; however, the dealer and the shop manual recommed a GL-5 75W-90 gear oil for that transaxle. Ah ha, I said. I'll go to the Amsol web site and see what they recommend to resolve this. No help there, as they recommmend both a GL-4 and a GL-5 spec'd fluid.

Any 'yota experts out there that can clear this up for me?

P.S. For the engine I use GC 0-30. Of all my vehicles, this gets the worst treatment. High revs around town, hard driving without warmup, etc. OCI planned for 5k, but sometimes extended as far as 8k if I forget to check the odometer for a couple of days.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Toyota recommends a GL-4 or GL-5 75W-90.

I would use Amsoil MTG GL-4 75W-90

X2
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Amsoil MTG GL-4 75W-90 it is then. Thanks Pablo.

Can`t go wrong with MTG
11.gif

Redline MT-90 all the way. I've been using it in my 2001 Rav4's manual transmission for 100k+ miles - works like a charm.

I've found that it lasts about 30k before the shifting gets rougher and it needs to be changed. I get the MT-90 from Summit Racing.

BTW - change the aluminum plug washers when you change the transmission oil. They tend to get mashed up by the socket wrench, which happens to be a 24mm in case you are wondering (at least on mine, it may be different for your model year).

I appreciate the inputs. Yep, the aluminum plugs look to be around 24mm. The plugs themselves almost look like they might come apart if you put much torque on them. I'll pick up a few washers from Toyota before I take them out.
I usually can't get ahold of this car long enough to do maintenance, other than oil/spark plug/coolant changes. It took me 8 months to have it long enough to change out the $*#%@# obscured fuel filter. I'm taking advantage of a broken timing belt to keep it out of service until I complete routine maintenance (the wife has a loaner). I can't believe the transmission is still shifting great with 100k miles on the fish oil that came from the factory.

FYI - Always remove the fill plug before the drain plug because you want to make sure you can get the fill plug off before you go draining out the gear oil. Filling can get a little tricky, but I rigged up a funnel with a 2' piece of tubing so I can fill the transmission from the top of the engine bay. A gear oil pump will work but it takes much longer to fill up the transmission. Shake up the new gear oil a bit before you pour it in.

I prefer Amsoil before Redline. Initial there are no differences between shift feeling. But Amsoil keeping the nice shift feeling longer. So for me its easy to choose Amsoil.

My XC70 MT loves Amsoil. I mix MTF with MTG.

I think I screwed up. I got the car back together yssterday evening, before I had a chance to pick up some Amsoil MTG. It runs like new now, and I'll probably have win an arm wrestling match to get it back to change the fluid. No problem though, I think I can take her two out of three.

True to my usual cheap form, I'm waiting until Amsoil's price decrease next month to stock up.

Thanks again for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back