Toyota Power Steering Pump Rebuild

I need to rebuild the power steering pump for my 2000 Camry. The Toyota gasket rebuild kit is discontinued but available on eBay as a NOS part for about $60.. RockAuto carries a SunSong rebuild kit. I know that Trav is a big fan of Sunsong so I wanted to know if I should just buy that instead of the NOS Toyota stuff. Thanks guys.

IMG_4864.jpg

As a cross-check: are you sure the pump needs rebuilding?

Typically these pumps run past 200,000 miles with no problem. They will get soaked, though, from the pressure return hose leaking onto it, or from VCGs dripping on it from directly above.

You may know that/have eliminated that, but just checking.

As a cross-check: are you sure the pump needs rebuilding?

Typically these pumps run past 200,000 miles with no problem. They will get soaked, though, from the pressure return hose leaking onto it, or from VCGs dripping on it from directly above.

You may know that/have eliminated that, but just checking.
Since I’m going to replace all of the power steering hoses I’m going to rebuild the pump as well. Grabbed one from the junkyard today and will keep it as a backup. =)

Since I’m going to replace all of the power steering hoses I’m going to rebuild the pump as well. Grabbed one from the junkyard today and will keep it as a backup. =)
Ok, solid plan and wise. Just wanted to point out some of the tricky things on these if you did not know.

IIRC, doing the job on the 2000 is not nearly so heinous as on the later V6s; it gets much tighter and really annoying (BTDT).

Ok, solid plan and wise. Just wanted to point out some of the tricky things on these if you did not know.

IIRC, doing the job on the 2000 is not nearly so heinous as on the later V6s; it gets much tighter and really annoying (BTDT).
I appreciate the heads up! I’ve been staring at the motor and creating a plan of attack for when I do the VCG. I purchased an OEM Toyota intake plenum gasket along with the throttle body gasket since I’ll have to remove those to access the rear VCG. I like to be prepared so I’m not hung up halfway lol

Hey, if you are buying a lot of stuff, look in the “deals” section of the forum. Toyota is having a (rare) Black Friday sale. 25% off all parts, accessories (fluids too), free shipping over $75. I am not always wedded to TG parts, but this is a good opportunity. Discount should be automatically applied at any online parts Dept., no special code needed it appears.

Hey, if you are buying a lot of stuff, look in the “deals” section of the forum. Toyota is having a (rare) Black Friday sale. 25% off all parts, accessories (fluids too), free shipping over $75. I am not always wedded to TG parts, but this is a good opportunity. Discount should be automatically applied at any online parts Dept., no special code needed it appears.
I appreciate that! I had no clue that Toyota did Black Friday lol

I appreciate that! I had no clue that Toyota did Black Friday lol
I wasn’t either. I don’t know if they actually have as this appears new.

I am used to Volvo doing this; I subscribe to a thread on it at swedespeed.com and save my accessory/parts/etc. until there is a big discount like this. I think it’s a new(er) thing for Toyota.

If nothing else I’ll get a case of T-IV shipped for like $5.50/qt. I have two Lexus and two Volvos that use that (also one Chevy!) so that alone is worth buying.

I wasn’t either. I don’t know if they actually have as this appears new.

I am used to Volvo doing this; I subscribe to a thread on it at swedespeed.com and save my accessory/parts/etc. until there is a big discount like this. I think it’s a new(er) thing for Toyota.

If nothing else I’ll get a case of T-IV shipped for like $5.50/qt. I have two Lexus and two Volvos that use that (also one Chevy!) so that alone is worth buying.
That’ll be a good idea. And thanks to you, I was able to buy a door lock actuator for my driver front door. It’s over $200 for that little part but I got got it for $118 shipped haha. The dealer threw in an additional $40 discount 😍

I would get the sunsong. All the brake hoses i have bought have been great. All the connectors in the proper spot and the quality looked good. I would think the gaskets are ok too.

Thank you, Joe. I’ll buy it especially since the rebuild kit is only like $20
It's been discussed before but I'll tell ya anyway.. Sunsong bought out a major OE supplier to GM in Moraine, Ohio. They had been partners but then they just bought them out.

I've used the brake hoses from them before, just got some to put on the tC and the quality is excellent.

You should rebuild the pump, I have seen some that weep through the seals.

OT, but another Sunsong fan. I got some of their brake hoses for my Mercedes for $4 each on Rockauto and the quality was superb.

I appreciate the heads up! I’ve been staring at the motor and creating a plan of attack for when I do the VCG. I purchased an OEM Toyota intake plenum gasket along with the throttle body gasket since I’ll have to remove those to access the rear VCG. I like to be prepared so I’m not hung up halfway lol

Replace the coolant bypass hose under the LIM, Common for it to blow on MZ engines.

Reactions: D60
That’ll be a good idea. And thanks to you, I was able to buy a door lock actuator for my driver front door. It’s over $200 for that little part but I got got it for $118 shipped haha. The dealer threw in an additional $40 discount 😍

Awesome. One of the reasons I hang out on this forum and check it regulary is smart (other, not me) people have saved me a ton of a)money b)time c) effort on a LOT of projects over the years, from gas furnaces, french yard drains, to whatever.

I try to pay back the metric sh**** ton of helpful advice I have received. Glad I paid a little back; I’m likely still behind the power curve.

This forum is a serious online secret heaven of smart and helpful people.

Back