Toyota Pink Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the coupons dealers send you. I recieved a $12.88 coupon for Toyota antifreeze. I bought 3 gallons of the super long life.

Originally Posted By: NCGuy68
Is there a over the counter replacement for the high $$ stuff from the dealership?

$19 per gallon is crazy ! ! !

Thanks for insightful replys Gents.

I have the same problem with my Chrysler 300M that uses the Mopar HOAT coolant. My research with it has taken me across this website in my cross referencing. It would appear as though the pink toyota coolant is a HOAT hybrid as well? Find the table from the link above and you'll see what I mean. If this is the case, you should be able to use the Zerex G-05 that can be obtained from places like CarQuest, Napa, or PepBoys. If they don't have it in stock, they can order it for you.

Honestly, I don't find $20/G coolants expensive for many reasons..

1) It is a proprietry juice designed for specific engines with specific aluminum chemistry and pump seals.
2) I would change out coolants only once in 2 yrs (5 yrs is quoted by manufacturer) so why take short cuts.
3) I would think user's manual give you a alternative if Toyota thought there was an alternative around. It does give alternatives to every other thing except coolants. This is not just Toyota but all other manufacturers.
4) I don't want to have a restless sleep after putting in something that may result in failure down the lane. Blowing up an engine is way too expensive for a $20 bet.

The pink Toyota coolant is an OAT, not a HOAT.

However, the Zerex G-05, Chrysler, Mercedes, and Ford HOAT coolants should work well as a replacement for the Toyota coolant.

They don't contain the 2-EHA which DexCool and some of the other clones have, which can soften certain gaskets.

The low silicate level meets the spirit if not the letter of Toyota's requirement.

The G-05 type coolants are as close to universal as you'll find.

Originally Posted By: Rolf
The pink Toyota coolant is an OAT, not a HOAT.

However, the Zerex G-05, Chrysler, Mercedes, and Ford HOAT coolants should work well as a replacement for the Toyota coolant.

They don't contain the 2-EHA which DexCool and some of the other clones have, which can soften certain gaskets.

The low silicate level meets the spirit if not the letter of Toyota's requirement.

The G-05 type coolants are as close to universal as you'll find.

Not true. Toyota does NOT recommend the usage of silicates in their coolants. The SLL coolant uses a dose of phosphates in addition to utilizing organic acid technology. It's technically a hybrid type coolant and it uses more than just organic acid technology for its protection system.

Originally Posted By: NCGuy68
Is there a over the counter replacement for the high $$ stuff from the dealership?

$19 per gallon is crazy ! ! !

Thanks for insightful replys Gents.

My friend you seem to give an impression that the other coolants are sold for free. Common if you can pay $12/G for an unknown coolant, just suck up and pay $20/G and move on.

Don't crib because if you did take shotcuts now, you will be paying a big price down the lane. Over and above constant fear thinking if that was the wise thing to do by going OTC!!

I bet you want to sleep well not thinking if you did the right choice by switching coolants.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Not true. Toyota does NOT recommend the usage of silicates in their coolants. The SLL coolant uses a dose of phosphates in addition to utilizing organic acid technology. It's technically a hybrid type coolant and it uses more than just organic acid technology for its protection system.

The fact that Toyota doesn't recommend silicates is why I suggested the G-05 meets the spirit, not the letter, of Toyota's recommendation.

The low silicate in G-05 serves basically the same purpose as the phosphate in the Toyota coolant.

Phosphate works okay in soft water, as in Japan, but not so well in hard water, as in many places in North America.

Given a choice between the Toyota formula and the G-05 formula, it is my own impression G-05 is overall a better choice.

If you're in a mixed fleet situation like I am, G-05 is without a doubt the better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back