Toyota Paseo on the dirt track

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I could have posted this on the racing forum, but its not REALLY a race car I have a question about. I have a buddy who is racing in a local amature track under the "Four Banger" category. Cars like gutted Honda CRX's, 10 year old NIssans and in my Buddy's case, a 1992 Toyota Paseo witha 1600cc DOHC EFI motor. They get up to about 60 miles an hour on the 1/4 mile dirt track, Wheeee!

Anyway, he is looking for a few extra ponies and can make no changes to the engine under the rules. He is using Castrol 20w-50, and the sump is over filled to boot! I suggested that he would be better off with synthetic oil and promised I would "Ask the experts!"

What do you guys think? 5w-20?

I have no idea how to set up a FWD car for circle track although I grew up on 1/4 and 3/8 mile dirt and asphalt tracks around alot of econo racers (vw's and Pintos at the time).. The oil is the least of his worries but a decent 10w30 will do. Don't let him skimp on safety equipment, even low power cars go end over end.
. Limit strap the left side of the suspension to prevent body roll if allowed by the rules and play with tire pressure(very important) to get the best turn in and whatever he can do to keep the car in the happy revs most of the time. Most of all have fun! Sounds like a challenge(getting the front drive to bite under throttle while light on the left side in the dirt. (The left front is going to want to lift if he oversteers)

Bryan's suggestion of a 10w30 is a good safe bet. Are they allowed oil temp/pressure gauges? You could then use actual data to help decide if you can run a 5w20. In any event, use a high flow oil filter like K&N.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back