Toyota OEM filter bypass setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota seems to safeguard this information everywhere I look, but I'm just curious to know if anyone has input on what the bypass PSI range is on a OEM DENSO made Toyota filter, more specifically the 90915-YZZD1 and 90915-YZZD3? The FRAM filters I've been using all state a 12psi across the board, (TG and XG) and I'm just curious to know if that's within Toyota's specs. I used to use OEM filters exclusively on the truck but after finding out how poor their efficiency ratings were shortly after joining BITOG, I went with something that has good efficiency. Surely it's not a problem, I just feel better knowing my oil is being filtered to the best degree possible, rather than being filtered barely good enough.

You'll probably never hear it from Toyota. You (or anyone here) could measure the bypass valve area and the force required to start to open the valve, then calculate the corresponding PSI.

I did read somewhere it is about 12-15 psi. Don't remember exactly where, but I took apart a Fram and a Toyota and they have virtually identical springs and operation. The parts interchange you can put a Toyota bypass into the Fram leaf spring and vice versa. I did think of makin a weight setup which would be easy to do, but then figured why? By hand they feel identical.

The questionable part is developing a belief about Toyota efficiency based on Amsoil's undocumented table of testing one oil filter in 2011. Since a $100,000 Lexus is serviced with the same Toyota filter, I wouldn't lose sleep using that filter.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes

The questionable part is developing a belief about Toyota efficiency based on Amsoil's undocumented table of testing one oil filter in 2011. Since a $100,000 Lexus is serviced with the same Toyota filter, I wouldn't lose sleep using that filter.
49.gif

When you consider the ownership and life of the vehicle will be the same with any oil filter that doesn't fail what is the big deal? FYI the best oil filter is the air filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back