Toyota lifetime guarantee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around the lunch table today, somebody said that they heard that Toyota is now offering a lifetime warranty, bumper to bumper. Any one ever heard of this yet?

What is their definition of "lifetime"? So if you do one documentable oil change somewhere else, you lose your warranty? Sounds like a gimmick.

Just like "Tires for Life". You pay for EVERY dealer recommended service when they say do it, and they pay for your tires as long as you own the car.

A real money maker for the dealer.

PS-Did you ever consider that dealer's go out of business?

They have had a lifetime warranty on their dealer installed/purchased mufflers, exhaust pipes and shocks/struts since at least the early 1990s.

In 5/08, a local Pontiac dealer offered to install my OEM starter that I bought from the parts dept with a lifetime warranty for my 96 sunfire. I opted to do it myself, they went out of business last month.
blush.gif

The dealer that I purchased my Camry from offers a "lifetime powertrain warranty" on every new car they sell. They do not have a problem with "user maintenance" as long as you follow the schedule in the manual and you save the receipts for your parts, oil, etc. That policy is even highlighted in the FAQ on the policy.

Originally Posted By: GeorgiaHybrid
The dealer that I purchased my Camry from offers a "lifetime powertrain warranty" on every new car they sell. They do not have a problem with "user maintenance" as long as you follow the schedule in the manual and you save the receipts for your parts, oil, etc. That policy is even highlighted in the FAQ on the policy.

Some of these warranties REQUIRE that you have ALL SERVICES performed AT THIS SPECIFIC DEALERSHIP...

Originally Posted By: parimento1
haha lifetime...aka 1 month until the automakers declare bankruptcy. Maybe the lifetime of a house fly or something.

He said Toyota...not GM..
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
I bet lifetime has a mileage cap. 200,000 miles or something

200,000 miles or sludge, whichever comes first.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
The way 'yota is going, it won't be very much different shortly...

Unless the market improves, they're going to have to reform as well. They can only sit on that pile of cash they "earned" by low-balling their workers for so long.

When you are replacing these parts, the car is already used half way toward its lifetime. So most of the time your car is worn before you need these parts again.

Then you have the "for original owner only" policy that tends to eliminate 80% of all claims.

Then you have the 2x price premium over the same parts and labor in an independent shop.

For the remaining 1% of the customers, sure, no big deal.

I filed a claim on my lifetime warranty on the autobarn radiator. The service rep told me to do a pressure test before he will send me a replacement, and said it is usually free. My mechanic say $70 since I didn't buy or install the radiator there (fair enough), and the service rep budged. He let me send in my radiator at their cost, wait for their inspection, then send me a replacement. My car was down for 10 days, and if I didn't have a spare car I would have given up and get a replacement locally.

That's how warranty and insurance work: bad deal for most people and don't fuzz about the occasional payout. Don't expect to benefit from it unless you have more time and patience than them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back