Toyota lifetime guarantee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
Originally Posted By: GeorgiaHybrid
The dealer that I purchased my Camry from offers a "lifetime powertrain warranty" on every new car they sell. They do not have a problem with "user maintenance" as long as you follow the schedule in the manual and you save the receipts for your parts, oil, etc. That policy is even highlighted in the FAQ on the policy.

Some of these warranties REQUIRE that you have ALL SERVICES performed AT THIS SPECIFIC DEALERSHIP...

I believe this is a "tie-in provision" which is illegal. Who says this?

Originally Posted By: Amkeer
My Tundra has a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain components.

What is the definition of lifetime, warranty, and drivetrain?

Lifetime=as long as I own the truck
warranty=self explanatory
drivetrain=transmission, engine, and related components

The warranty was given to me by the dealership. If it is free, it is for me.

Originally Posted By: Amkeer
Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
Originally Posted By: GeorgiaHybrid
The dealer that I purchased my Camry from offers a "lifetime powertrain warranty" on every new car they sell. They do not have a problem with "user maintenance" as long as you follow the schedule in the manual and you save the receipts for your parts, oil, etc. That policy is even highlighted in the FAQ on the policy.

Some of these warranties REQUIRE that you have ALL SERVICES performed AT THIS SPECIFIC DEALERSHIP...

I believe this is a "tie-in provision" which is illegal. Who says this?

It's not the manufacturers warranty so the dealer can do anything they want with it. It is most likely more of a service contract or agreement, not a warranty.
Quote:
Lifetime=as long as I own the truck

Be aware that a lifetime warranty may be for the life of the part, in other words only factory defects are covered, not normal wear and tear.

Actually, I believe the "warranty" he has is the same I have on my Tundra.

The dealership can not do anything they want with my warranty. Since the warranty is given, it has certain rights. Now they can tell you a specific part may not be covered and exclusions may apply. You read the terms of the warranty. Now if you abuse the vehicle as far as neglecting maintenance they have every right to attempt to deny if they can prove the negligent act produced the faulty product. An example, no oil changes in 25,000 miles would probably fall within that scope.

If it says "Warranty" and time frame or mileage limitation, that is what will govern, along with other limitations.

We had the unfortunate experience of suing a dealership due to breach of warranty, among other things. What got them is not honoring after they offered the warranty. You give them one shot, that is all that is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back