Toyota is recalling about 145,000 Grand Highlander and TX SUVs due to a curtain airbag

wemay

Site Donor 2023

FROM LINK ABOVE:
"The Toyota Grand Highlander and Lexus TX could have a faulty airbag. Toyota today said that it is voluntarily recalling around 145,000 of the two mid-size SUVs in the U.S. after it discovered that their curtain shield airbags might not properly deploy in the event of an accident.

Toyota said in a press release that the affected airbags are located on the driver's side, and the deployment problem might occur if the driver's window is rolled down. Obviously, that could increase the risk of an injury during a crash that involves that area.

Toyota also said it's currently working on a way to fix the airbag issue. The company plans to notify all Grand Highlander and TX owners by the middle of August. The recall involves 2024 models, as that's the only model year that either SUV has been available."

Last edited:
We have one of these.... My wife hasn't texted me yet so she doesn't know about it yet. It's about 137º F outside, or seems like it, so we'll be driving it with the windows closed anyway !

I hope it's not Takata air bags
Doesn't sound like the brand makes a difference. Toyota is saying the issue is if the driver's window is down so somehow when the airbag deploys, if the window is open it allows the airbag to not stay in position properly ? 🤷‍♂️

It's amazing they've already sold 145 000 of these things. So many people bought new cars the last 2 years.
That doesn't count the Lexus variants either. You will hardly ever find one for sale on dealer's lots either. Most are sold sight unseen before they're even built. Dealer we bought ours from has (4) hybrid versions on order and (3) are already sold; they have (10) gas models on order and (5) are pre-sold.

I wonder what happens if the window is smashed in an accident. I guess the deployment of the airbag would happen before that occurs? Either way, they'll get it sorted.

Back