Toyota HOAT Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by nthach
IMO, that Prestone Asian or even regular Prestone will be fine. 2-EHA isn't my first choice for an Asian coolant but Prestone Asian and their newest Cor-Guard formula does meet Toyota's definition of a "coolant with low levels of acid and hybrid technology with no silicates, amines or borates".

thank you nthach, i think ill have yo go with Asian prestone in my grandfather's 04 v6 4runner.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
Do a drain and fill on it. Make sure you use product as close as possible to the Toyota Pink. The first change if I remember correctly is 5 years 100000 miles. The second is 50000. My 2014 and 2008 are due for drain and fills and I will use Zerex Asian pink.

i could get, 2 PEAK OEM pink/red, but toyota says full system capacity is 9L (9.5qt) and with 2 50/50 bottles i only have 7.56L, if i do drain and fill (including heater core) will 7.5L be enought?,

Originally Posted by Everyhack
i could get, 2 PEAK OEM pink/red, but toyota says full system capacity is 9L (9.5qt) and with 2 50/50 bottles i only have 7.56L, if i do drain and fill (including heater core) will 7.5L be enought?

i could get, 2 PEAK OEM pink/red, but toyota says full system capacity is 9L (9.5qt) and with 2 50/50 bottles i only have 7.56L, if i do drain and fill (including heater core) will 7.5L be enought?, [/quote]

If the car is in the Domincan Republic, of course it's enough. You fill the gap with distilled water from the mercado. The records I found says the the number of times that it has actually been below freezing in the DR in the last 50 years is, ah, about Zero! It says -1C was the coldest, back in 1958.
wink.gif

And if your car really isn't yet 10 years or 100k miles on it, you are wasting your time and money right now; I would wait as these fluids are very, very good and not going to fail earlier.

But, where you are, you want corrosion inhibition and heat transfer in your climate. a 40/60 or even lower concentrate/water ratio is wholly fine where you are. If I wanted to chuck out the good coolant early and do this, I would get the Prestone or cheapest Asian 50/50. Then:

a) drain radiator and block, refill with dH20. Run system until hot, thermostat and heater open.
b) Let cool, drain radiator and block again.
c) Refill with the 50/50 until block and radiator full. Run until hot, let cool and top off.
d) Check fill again after a few days to top up for air pockets that have since "burped" out.

The pink and red are compatible and you don't need to flush multiple times to get all of the old out.

I would get the three gallons. No need to flush the system as a simple drain and fill is all that is needed.

Originally Posted by Everyhack
Originally Posted by TheBig2003
Kamele0N said:
Just use that new pink G13 coolant......it is mixable with any other coolant!

Agreed. I use G13 in my VW's and my daily Hyundai Beta II. When I got the Hyundai, I changed all fluids and did a complete water flush and then replaced the coolant with a 50/50 of VW G13. Inexpensive for a gallon of concentrate from VW. I pay $27CDN for a jug.

My recommendation is to call up Plaza Volkswagen in Santo Domingo and get a price.

The prices overthere are as high as the toyota oem coolant, thanks for the recommendation anyways Big2003, wonder if i could use G12++ for a G13 application

G12++ and G13 use the same corrosion inhibitors so yes.

Originally Posted by TheBig2003
Kamele0N said:
Just use that new pink G13 coolant......it is mixable with any other coolant!

Agreed. I use G13 in my VW's and my daily Hyundai Beta II. When I got the Hyundai, I changed all fluids and did a complete water flush and then replaced the coolant with a 50/50 of VW G13. Inexpensive for a gallon of concentrate from VW. I pay $27CDN for a jug.

My recommendation is to call up Plaza Volkswagen in Santo Domingo and get a price.

I also run G12++ which is the same as G13 just 100% Glycol without the 20% Glycerin G13 uses, in my two Fords.
It's readily available everywhere here in Spain due to the huge popularity of VWs and Seats here in Spain, seems like one of the best coolants you can get for the money.
I do however use Febi Bilstein's G12++ which has no 2-Eha.

Last edited:
^^^Since asked, of the two shown 'I' prefer the Peak OET AF. Not even close. Peak OET is a "true" Asian PHoat AF that uses no 2eha, same as the oem Asian AFs including Toyota LL and SLL. Otoh, Prestone uses 2eha for in Dexcool as inhibitor which none of the oem Asian AFs use. 'Imo' that makes Prestone "Asian" a 'faux' Asian AF. Regardless how vague the Toyota owners manual AF recommendation, I wouldn't use it period.

As for tint of the AF, other than matching vehicle tint, not a reliable indicator of chemistry and attributes. In this case, the Peak tint appears closer to that drained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back