Toyota Cartridge Removal Tool - Recs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that it was manufactured with a hole in it to help with the wrench not getting stuck, or help to release it. If I worked on Lexus/Toyota every day, I would want one in my toolbox for sure. Don't own the SST tool, so I can't compare it to the CTA 2475.

I will just have to take the word of a former Lexus/Toyota tech that works at an independent Lexus/Toyota shop now that said the SST tool is really good, but the CTA 2475 rivals it. At least the CTA 2475 is another cheaper option for the DIY crowd.

Got to use the CTA 2475 for the first time today while changing oil and filter on my Lexus. I torqued the housing to 18 foot pounds last oil change, and it was stuck on there pretty good like always.

Used a 1/2 drive ratchet on the oil filter wrench one handed, and gave it a good tug, and it did not move. Braced myself, and then double handed the 1/2 drive ratchet, and the filter housing spun right off. Oil filter wrench did not get stuck to the housing when I took it off, or when I torqued it back on which was surprising. The Assenmacher has a bad habit of getting stuck to the housing.

CTA 2475 gets a thumbs up.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I have the Assenmacher and the ABN. I prefer the ABN because it doesn't get as stuck on the filter-cap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZNZOYQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The ABN is good for the guy that does his own oil changes and doesn't go by the book when tightening the cap. Book says to tighten to 18fp which I don't do because it's not necessary. I only snug the cap, maybe 5fp, after it seats which makes it easy to remove. I also only use a box wrench or a socket and not a 3/8 drive in the center because that's where the tool is the weakest and will break.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Originally Posted By: HangFire
I have the Assenmacher and the ABN. I prefer the ABN because it doesn't get as stuck on the filter-cap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZNZOYQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The ABN is good for the guy that does his own oil changes and doesn't go by the book when tightening the cap. Book says to tighten to 18fp which I don't do because it's not necessary. I only snug the cap, maybe 5fp, after it seats which makes it easy to remove. I also only use a box wrench or a socket and not a 3/8 drive in the center because that's where the tool is the weakest and will break.

Agreed. I use the 27mm GearWrench ratcheting wrench, bought specifically for this purpose. I got it in Aug 2015 during one of those crazy Amazon price jags, for $7, 2-day Prime delivery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBC780

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Just curious about you needing the wrench when you're dealing with caps put on by oil rack guys somewhere? You're taking turns on the oil changes?

These cartridge housings are different than the metal oil canisters. The canisters go on real easy and thread real easy until they start to tighten and then gradually get tighter. You stop when it's tight enough but you know you could crank down and get it a little tighter. With the cartridge housings, at least mine, it goes on medium easy and then just stops when it bottoms out. Any looser and it's loose and you can't make it any tighter without fear of breaking something.

I'd rather have the old canister type but with the special cap socket, a big socket, and HF 1/2 ratchet, it's not that bad.

For the 14×64mm size tool needed for recent 1.8L Toyota engines ...

Many makes and models are sold through Amazon and elsewhere via internet, at a wide variety of prices. After studying those, and the very limited options at local parts stores, and learning the local dealer's high price, I picked the Steelman 06136, a modestly priced one of the stamped-steel variety, sold by Amazon, WalMart.com and others. It fits well, and doesn't seem inclined to stick on the filter cover. It probably isn't the absolute strongest (for severely over-torqued covers), but seems fine for normal use. Lower priced stamped-steel ones exist, but tend to attract negative reviews when they slip or break. AutoZone sells an aluminum version that looks plausible, but costs more and has minor fit issues, according to reviewers.

14×64mm cap wrenches for spin-on filters of that size (e.g., Honda) will also work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back