toyota avalon tire pressure sensor

The tpms light is flashing on my wifes 2011 Toyota Avalon. All the tires have the recommended air pressure, including the full size spare in the trunk.
I am guessing this means the batteries are dying in the tire sensors. What is a good brand to buy? Do I need to go to the dealer or will the Denso from Rockauto be fine? They are $32 each, the price from the dealer is $91 each.

I got a Dorman and it didn't seem to take. I haven't bothered to figure out why, as they are not required for state inspection here.

Do you plan to replace yourself or have a tire shop do this for you?

I'm probably going to take the car to discount tire and get them replaced. It's looking like a lot of hassle to do it myself for not a lot of savings.

Discount charged about 40 each to replace them on my old Sonata.

It took them 3 different tries to get a set that worked correctly with the car. I'm glad I didn't walk in with a set of amazon sensors that didn't work right.

The densos from rock auto are fine, as are the ~$20 "Pacific" ones from ebay.

Toyota sensors transmit a hidden code when they are low on battery but otherwise still functional. So you may want to scan the rest with the dealer techstream or a comparable computer to see if they are also on the way out. Will save you hassle and $$ for programming.

Assuming you're not doing the work yourself, you might consider doing it with the parts from the tire dealer so they can make it all work. If you do have a way of getting pressures (carista OBD will do it for $20 for a limited free trial time) you can figure out which corner is bad. You may be able to break a tire bead by letting the car down off the jack, with its frame compressing the tire. Then fish out the old part and bolt in the new, noting the low torque requirement.

Toyota's have the worst tire pressure monitoring system on the planet. Each individual sensor serial number has to be entered into the cars OBDII with the appropriate scan tool. Another trick to force you into the dealers shop. They need to go to the rubber valve stem, and calculate pressures off of wheel speed like many other OEM's have done for a few years already. Most of the Toyota's don't even display tire pressure, and just turn on the horseshoe light.

Just go without them.
My elantra had the batteries die in all the sensors. Been dead for 2 years.

I have a tire gauge, I check them monthly, and I'm in the habit of looking at my tires when I walk up to the car. I'm not paying $160 + for new sensors.

Now if it was my wife's vehicle, maybe.

Last edited:
I know it is over-kill but u can buy the Autel tool and read/clone sensor ids from the OBD port. But u get eight Autel sensors and the tool. U will also get free updates and be in TPMS control from this point on.

I cloned the ids for my 2014 Toyota Venza’s snow tires and it worked like a charm. And now I can help any damsels in distress. Lol

Autel

Last edited:
Back