Toyota Avalon Oil Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently bought a 2012 Avalon. Standard V6 engine (only engine). Nowhere have I found where syn oil is recommended. On the official Toyota factory list of recommended oils for all their cars, it states to use reg oil for this year Avalon. It also says syn oil is ok for the same year and engine in the Camry. The two motors are exactly the same so why is the oil spec different? Seems strange to me why the difference . My car is a Toyota certified auto so they are changing oil for free for a year. They use 5w-30 semi syn castrol. Just wondering if anybody knows why the oil spec for this 12 Avalon is different for this v-6 than the others. I'm sure using a full syn will not be detrimental to the longevity of the 2gr-fe engine . Thanks so much Kevin

how about a link to this "information" you are reading?

Thats the one that doesnt spec 0w20?

Last edited:
Look up Toyota Tech Tip T-TT-0005-10

5W30/5000 miles for 2012 Avalon. Same as RAV4 with the same engine. So it's not like Avalon was singled out. I suspect Toyota tested oil temps and they were too high in Avalon/RAV4 to warrant synthetic 0W20/10000 miles.

I cant remember the link, I ran across it going through some sites i accidentally came to. It was an official toyota factory sheet though. Factory spec for the oil is 5w-30 dino though.

Like my Corolla they spec 5w30 (although it was back specc'd) they still recommend running 5k mile oil change intervals even if full syn is used (im going 7500k miles on PU since im outside of warranty. Id still run syn if i were you. Just change it out every 5k miles while under warranty. Once past that id go to 7500k miles without worry.

My guess is they figure most who run full syn will expect to extend the interval which they dont recommend which is why they dont recommend using syn. As to why they syn is ok to be used in the camry with same engine...one can only imagine..

It doesn't say to use conventional (reg oil). It doesn't make a distinction

2012 Avalon owners manual section

Quote:

“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent
Oil grade: ILSAC multigrade engine oil

Recommended viscosity: SAE 5W-30
SAE 5W-30 is the best choice for
good fuel economy and good
starting in cold weather.
If SAE 5W-30 is not available,
SAE 10W-30 oil may be used.
However, it should be replaced
with SAE 5W-30 at the next oil
change.

The 5W portion of the oil viscosity rating indicates the characteristic of the
oil which allows cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow
for easier starting of the engine in cold weather.
The 30 in 5W-30 indicates the oil viscosity when the oil is at its operating
temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle
is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

Last edited:
2012 Camry

“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use
Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy
the following grade and viscosity.

Oil grade: ILSAC multigrade engine oil

Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20
SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for
good fuel economy and good
starting in cold weather.
If SAE 0W-20 is not available,
SAE 5W-20 oil may be used.