Official Toyota Oil Recommendation Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JasonBraswell

Excuse my french- Monsieur!

If you want to share the communication documents from Toyota Canada, I will be happy to forward them to Toyota USA and ask for the same request.

I just find it hard to believe Toyota would make this change and fail to distribute the info to the dealers and overall public. Something does not make sense here...

Even better, why don't you ask Toyota Canada to show how this is chart is sent from Japan? that would end the debate real fast.

But you see, I'm not the one who's questioning the authenticity of the chart...YOU ARE.

So instead of posting something as inane as "Everything on the internet is not true. I'm just saying." and then following up with a post that is even more inane, why don't you follow everything you just recommended to satisfy yourself.

Really, your arrogance is astounding. Have you read what you've just posted? You are basically demanding that I deal with Toyota USA on your behalf. Incredible!

This line "If you want to share the communication documents from Toyota Canada, I will be happy to forward them to Toyota USA and ask for the same request." is somewhat indicative of your lack of understanding of my reply. I do not want to share my communication with Toyota Canada with Toyota USA, as I have no doubts about the chart. What my post was encouraging you to do (quite clearly I thought) was contact Toyota USA yourself if you had some doubts of the authenticity of the chart I posted.

This line "Even better, why don't you ask Toyota Canada to show how this is chart is sent from Japan? that would end the debate real fast." is almost nonsensical. How did Japan suddenly enter the equation? Also, there is no debate to end. The chart I posted is from Toyota Canada. If you think it's fraudlent, do your own research. What's to debate?

As I stated in my first reply to you, it's easy enough for you to contact Toyota USA (corporate, not some drone at the dealership) yourself and ask whatever questions will fill the vacuum of your mind.

Speaking of minds, you're showing your ignorance by assuming everyone in Canada speaks French. I don't.

Last edited:
And again, I'm not here to authenticate the 'story' to you. It is what it is. If you don't believe it, do your own legwork regarding Toyota oils.

Oh, I have the original email from Toyota Canada with the .pdf attachment from January 19, 2011. The email shows my original question (sent via the Toyota Canada website) and then the reply with the attached chart. Any copies you find of that chart posted anywhere other than BITOG and the Lexus forums that I use, with a date after January 19 were likely taken from my very first post in this thread, or from the Lexus forums.

However, what's the point in posting the email, since you will likely say I've fabricated the email as well. (Falsifying emails for Dummies)

Perhaps I could forward it to someone like a moderator, who can then confirm that the chart was legitimately sent to me by Toyota Canada. As long as you're not going to go on about a conspiracy between me and said moderator.

But again, that's way too much of me working for you, but it would be nice to see you eat crow. I'll leave it up to any moderator that chooses to get involved.

You can denounce the chart all you want.

Hopefully, more open minded users of BITOG will take it at face value.

Last edited:
rcy - thanks for posting the chart. Your latest posts help give me even more confidence that it is indeed genuine.

It is pretty surprising especially for some of the 0W20 recommendations such as for my 2000 Sienna.

Note that I am currently running M1 0W20 in my 2005 Prius, with confidence, based on the chart and several good UOA's that others have posted.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
rcy, great chart.

And for readers I would add not to overlook the fact that these recommendations are for Toyota Brand oils, and it pays to know the spec's behind the oils if you are going to use a non spec' oil.
In particular the Toyota brand 0W-20 is unique and the only 0W-20's that are similar is Honda's version, Castrol Edge, ENEOS and CAM II.

This would be possibly true if Toyota made a 5w-20 oil. Unless they are selling a 5w-20 in Canada, there is no such oil in the USA.

This link takes you to a current promotion offered by Toyota in Canada. It includes a picture of a bottle of Toyota 5w-20.

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/10/wo/Home.Promotions-ZOUMjbgBIQI1MIfuv3s0Uw/7.13?fmg%2fdealersPromo%2findex%2ehtml

Ian

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
rcy, great chart.

And for readers I would add not to overlook the fact that these recommendations are for Toyota Brand oils, and it pays to know the spec's behind the oils if you are going to use a non spec' oil.
In particular the Toyota brand 0W-20 is unique and the only 0W-20's that are similar is Honda's version, Castrol Edge, ENEOS and CAM II.

This would be possibly true if Toyota made a 5w-20 oil. Unless they are selling a 5w-20 in Canada, there is no such oil in the USA.

Good Lord. Google 0279-1qt20. Of course Toyota sells a 5w20 in the USA.

Last edited:
I don't think you can purchase toyota 5w-20 oil anymore. The part# listed above doesn't yield good results, which tells me it is obsolete.

I did find one TSB from Toyota discussing this topic. It is only applicable to 2006 and newer models at that time, which probably means toyota does not want to back spec lower weight oils in older engines (see the note at end of pg 2).
TSB pg 1
TSB pg 2

My bad..the part number is 00279-1qt20 (missed the double zero) or 00279-1QT20-01. However, per the link Jason Braswell provided, it appears Toyota is now only offering 5w30, 10w30, 10w40 and 0w20.

In the TSB 5w20 is specifically mentioned, so they made it at one time, but looks to have been replaced with 0w20.

That TSB has been floating around for a while. It should be considered out of date (since it is).

Originally Posted By: rcy

That TSB has been floating around for a while. It should be considered out of date (since it is).

Ok, now what makes you consider this TSB out of date?

Last edited:
The date.

Whether you believe me or not, the chart was sent to me in 2011. There are a whole lot more engines in the chart that can use 5w20 and 0w20 than are mentioned the TSB.

Last edited:
Bottom line is Toyota is a very coservative company and they just don't release charts such as the one you are distributing without a TSB or some other formal explanation. And just becuase the TSB is dated 2006, it doesn't make it "outdated". Unless someone can show differently, this TSB is the most accurate piece of information on the subject to date.

Most of the engine series listed in the TSB likely will match up to almost all of the models listed in your chart. However, I haven't carefully evaluated to cross reference and don't have the time to look up which engine series go to each model car.

I think we can add some depth to your chart now and say it is only applicable to model years 2006+. Previous model years like my '99 with a UZ series engine should continue to use a xw-30 oil as specified originally be the mfg.

Last edited:

I think we can add some depth to your chart now and say it is only applicable to model years 2006+. Previous model years like my '99 with a UZ series engine should continue to use a xw-30 oil as specified originally be the mfg.

I think you can do whatever you want in regards to the chart and other users of BITOG can make their own determination. The chart goes back as far as 1995. If Toyota intended it to apply to 2006+ model years, they would only have shown 2006+ model years.

What slays me is that you still think I have fabricated this chart.

You say "Unless someone can show differently, this TSB is the most accurate piece of information on the subject to date."

I have shown differently - by sharing the chart that I received from Toyota Canada in 2011.

Last edited:
We had the service center assistant manager of the TOYOTA dealer that we purchaesd the '08 YARIS sedan from email the T.S.B. EG018-06 approving the use of 5w-20 for the NZ . Printed it out and have it with papers for the YARIS . This should help with any warranty issues . Now using SHELL full synthetic 5w-20 (SN)along with TOYO oil filter . I've called quite a few TOYOTA service centers and asked of the chart that gives approval for 5w-20 and 0w-20 only to get different answers . So , no one is on the same page . Some weren't aware of the T.S.B. from '06 .

Last edited:
The date.

Whether you believe me or not, the chart was sent to me in 2011. There are a whole lot more engines in the chart that can use 5w20 and 0w20 than are mentioned the TSB.
Maybe you could get TOYOTA of the U.S. to e-mail you THE chart or any current chart . Worth a shot .

Originally Posted By: odie
The date.

Maybe you could get TOYOTA of the U.S. to e-mail you THE chart or any current chart . Worth a shot .
You could send the chart for Canada along with your email asking if they have anything similar and then post it here . If you do , best of luck .

whats the avalon story?
are they heavier, hence no 0-20?

and
youd think toyota would post this on their web page for each country, as "currrent oil recommendations for Toyota cars

Last edited:
and the real question is
at the Toyota dealer "lube center"
how many oils does the lube tech have a choice of?
I bet they only use bulk from a hose- quicker, less waste(cans) and cheaper, and easier to load into the dealership.
I would not be surprised if the aveargae dealer has only one oil choice or at best two
someone here on the forum must know
whats the answer?
============
and I may just keep using 5w 30 as the 2004 owners manual says- these backwards compatible administrative decisions scare me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back