Toyota/Amsoil advice

I love how many people bash AMSOIL and their so-called marketing. I see more marketing for other oils than I ever see for AMSOIL. However, after using AMSOIL I won't use anything else. And as others have stated becoming a PC helps to cut the cost down because you get 25% off each time, and often times I get free shipping as well. My oil analysis for running SS at 10K intervals from Blackstone tell me that I can go another 10-15k miles every time I send them in. The fact that the oil comes out still golden and see through at 10K also tells me the oil isn't near end of life. However, I am going by Toyota's recommendations of 10k oil changes. I have never had any issues with any of my Toyotas doing this. What we pay for vehicles now I would rather not skimp on the oil that I use. I do know there are a lot of good oils out there, and as long as you are changing at a reasonable interval for the oil that you are using then you shouldn't have any issues. However, I still don't know why people bash AMSOIL so bad especially if they have never used it.

Another not about AMSOIL is that all the testing I have seen on the internet by professionals and non-professionals alike AMSOIL always ranks way up in the top if not at the very top. So again, I don't understand why people bash it. I don't bash people that use any quality motor oil as long as they are changing it at the right intervals, there is no reason to.

I love how many people bash AMSOIL and their so-called marketing. I see more marketing for other oils than I ever see for AMSOIL. However, after using AMSOIL I won't use anything else. And as others have stated becoming a PC helps to cut the cost down because you get 25% off each time, and often times I get free shipping as well. My oil analysis for running SS at 10K intervals from Blackstone tell me that I can go another 10-15k miles every time I send them in. The fact that the oil comes out still golden and see through at 10K also tells me the oil isn't near end of life. However, I am going by Toyota's recommendations of 10k oil changes. I have never had any issues with any of my Toyotas doing this. What we pay for vehicles now I would rather not skimp on the oil that I use. I do know there are a lot of good oils out there, and as long as you are changing at a reasonable interval for the oil that you are using then you shouldn't have any issues. However, I still don't know why people bash AMSOIL so bad especially if they have never used it.
I think the sweet spot for Amsoil SS is when you're out of warranty and it's being used to it's potential, which for me is about 15-16k miles, and your engine isn't using any substantial amount of oil.

Oh I don't bash it the fact is its above my price point. I think its good oil but does it really provide top value for your dollar?

Value for dollar? How many useless things do we all purchase on Amazon that provides no value, for our thousands of dollars a year.

You're spending about $60 for 5qts of Amsoil SS.

How many people spend $2,000 for an exhaust? $3,000 for wheels? $7,000 for full suspension lift on their trucks? What about people who detail their cars every weekend? Do you have any idea how expensive those detailing products add up to be? Microfiber towels alone these guys spend hundreds on, and don't get started on the pressure washer setups. Those will get into the 5 digit numbers..

Keep in mind this is just to wash their cars. But $60 for oil is blasphemy.

Last edited:
Value for dollar? How many useless things do we all purchase on Amazon that provides no value, for our thousands of dollars a year.

How many people spend $2,000 for an exhaust? $3,000 for wheels? $7,000 for full suspension lift on their trucks? What about people who detail their cars every weekend? Do you have any idea how expensive those detailing products add up to be? Microfiber towels alone these guys spend hundreds on, and don't get started on the pressure washer setups. Those will get into the 5 digit numbers..

Well I simply don't buy most of that stuff. Now at almost 79 I've put almost 4500 miles on the Mazda I bought on 2/22/22. How good a full synthetic oil do I need to put in this Mazda to make it last for 10 or 12 more years? My last oil purchase was $22.97 for Quaker State I'm sure that oil is good enough to make the Mazda last for 75000 miles. We all have priorities in life mine isn't to run an oil that is nearly three times more expensive than Quaker State just so I get bragging rights. The Mazda is doing just fine. I fact I'm likely going to a once a year OCI.

I am now wondering if I should have been doing more frequent changes all along for peace of mind. I don't plan on keeping the cars forever, but I am hoping to get to 200K possibly.
Keep doing the Amsoil and 10K oci.

I have always done 10K+ oci (07 FJ Cruiser w/224k miles). Doesn't burn or leak oil. Never thrown a code or been in a repair shop.

Your results may vary.

Another not about AMSOIL is that all the testing I have seen on the internet by professionals and non-professionals alike AMSOIL always ranks way up in the top if not at the very top. So again, I don't understand why people bash it. I don't bash people that use any quality motor oil as long as they are changing it at the right intervals, there is no reason to.
Testing? What kind of testing can an amateur do to predict the performance of a motor oil?

And people don’t “bash” the technical aspects of the brand, to use your favorite word.

You should have been doing 5K/6months since new.
I agree. If you plan on keeping it for a loooong time. But you have been using what I consider the best oil and filter if you are gonna
extend your OCI to 10K. That's a definite positive!

One important detail AMD (aka The Car Care Nut), doesn't mention, is the brand of oil used. While he advocates using TGMO, with the examples he has documented, we don't know that oil(s) was used.

For example.... 2 exxon-mobil oils... TGMO vs Mobil 1. Mobil 1 uses a different base oil blend, and a different additive package. Does the different base oil blend and additive package lead to different longevity results? Toyota doesn't test every API oil for its durability and maintenance recommendations, just TGMO and other Toyota-branded maintenance items.

Amsoil SS additive package does tend compare well to TGMO
TGMO: $6.80 qt at dealer

M1 AFE: $4.90 qt at Walmart

I'd use TGMO but it's expensive

TGMO: $6.80 qt at dealer

M1 AFE: $4.90 qt at Walmart

I'd use TGMO but it's expensive
I'd use M1 over TGMO without a 2nd thought. Heavier base oil blend, lower Noack.
Last time it was tested:
- TGMO 0W-20 (SN) had a 12.9% Noack
- M1 AFE 0W-20 (SP) has a 9.8% Noack
- M1 AFE 0W-20 (SN) had a 10.7% Noack

M1 EP would be even lower.

60 for 5 qts? You can go buy TGMO and an OEM oil filter and buy a case of beer on your way home and still not spend 60 bucks aha

I'd stick to what has been working. No need to do anything differently. You used a premium product since the vehicles were new, I'd be willing to wager the internals are nice and clean and wearing well. Don't mess with success.
How does one know if the oil and interval are working without opening up the engine and looking at the rings and bearings? Is a UOA going to fully and accurately disclose the condition of the engine?

How does one know if the oil and interval are working without opening up the engine and looking at the rings and bearings? Is a UOA going to fully and accurately disclose the condition of the engine?
Is the OP having any issues? He used a good oil and sensible intervals, why would he tear into an engine to have a look if he's not having a problem? Would you tear into an engine that was well maintained and had no issues? I wouldn't. He can do a compression test and leak down test if he wanted to. I wouldn't do that either unless I had a problem.

I'd use M1 over TGMO without a 2nd thought. Heavier base oil blend, lower Noack.
Last time it was tested:

Last time it was tested:

I think people on here say that M1 has a better base but TGMO has a better additive package.

I think people on here say that M1 has a better base but TGMO has a better additive package.
I've heard somebody make that claim simply due to the fact that Toyota adds more dimer Moly. I don't think that's sufficient grounds to draw that conclusion.

I've heard somebody make that claim simply due to the fact that Toyota adds more dimer Moly. I don't think that's sufficient grounds to draw that conclusion.
I was about to post the same observation. There seem to be a lot of folks here who love to see large ppm numbers for Moly but don't consider, or give enough weight to, the type of Moly or the balance of the additive package, and how and why everything works together.

Back